Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 25 pound cat that will most likely win a award for being the laziest cat of the decade. I have gotten him millions of toys (seriously he has millions). He might play with a few for maybe 10 minutes and then he pushes them off to the side and never uses them again.....ever.....

The only thing he has repeatedly used is the simple cat nip scratching cardboard box....

Other than that....he sleeps......

Any suggestions on something that will make this cat active again? he is to young to be so big and lazy.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
i have a similar issue. hard keeping mine interested besides when chasing each other... which you cant choose when or how often that happens lol. often wake up hearing a stampede of elephants only to find that its 2 cats running around. lol.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Prince doesn't like to play anymore either, not even with DaBird. He doesn't see the point in hunting and killing the same toy twice. When I rotate toys and bring out one he's forgotten about, he'll smell it and decide it's not alive, then turn his back to it.

I've given up trying to motivate him, and I won't buy any more toys that get used once. I take him on long strolls once a week and downstairs every evening after work, for exercise and mental stimulation. I bring bread crumbs for the pigeons so he can chase them around. No one can determine how old Prince is, so maybe he's at an age at which many cats don't play anymore...

Luckily I've adopted another 2 cats since, so that I have cats who actually use the many toys that were practically untouched.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Cats play as a substitution for hunting food. If your cat is overfed and overweight, then it has no psychological reason to play-hunt. You don't say how young, "far too young is". Under eight (cut off age to become a senior at our SPCA), then perhaps a diet is called for. Straysmommy's idea of taking the cat for long walks may help get the weight off. If he isn't playing now, I doubt there's any toy that will stimulate him and that you need to look to other reasons for his disinterest. It is possible that that's all it is, disinerest.

What sort of food does he get? I know there's a lot of thought and ideas about diet on this forum. Missy, while she's not the most active cat ever, seemed to improve after I introduced extra tarine into her diet. If you look up 'taurine', there's a Wikipedia article that lists the areas where taurine has effects on mammalian creatures, including humans. By observation you may feel that your cat could benefit from supplementation. I use an amount for Missy that will almost cover half a dime, twice a day, mixing it in with mashed sardine.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I read an article in my local paper that said the down side to the laser pointer is it doesn't allow kitty a way to win, this drives some poor kitties bonkers and the article suggested after playing with the laser pointer switch to another game where kitty can win.
I can see the point in that, I always let my cats win and give them lots of praise, Meme especially had confidence issues from being dumped and not having her own turf until I took her home so it took a lot of work and praising to turn her into a confident happy kitty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Far to young is 4 years old.... And that pizza hut idea reminded me of rubber bands....I forgot that he loves to play with rubber bands....

The Laser Pointer he gets tired of very quickly...

Im wondering if a tiny RC car might peak his interest....

·
Super Moderator
27,273 Posts
Rubber bands may not be the best idea. We have cats here who have had to have surgery to remove them.

Cinderella didn't really play, either. The only thing that got her going was pulling a ribbon or soft measuring tape along the floor or bed. Cleo prefers the same type of play. Some cats like "high" play, like my jumper, Charlee, and some prefer low.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Have you tried the dangle toys like 'da-bird'? They look like small fishing polse with a toy on the end. A lot of cats just ignore toys that don't move, you may need to move it. Also, some cats have prey preferences, so they respond best to the toys that resemble their favorite prey, ie: if they prefer birds, they'll respond to feather toys like 'da-bird'. If they like mice, then a mouse on a string, or bugs, a knot on a string. I had a mylar tassle on a dangle toy and they liked that, but once they tore the tassle out, they even went more crazy for the rubber part that got left behind! The thing is, you need to spend time with him and make it interesting. i also got this 'undercover mouse' battery operated toy that will keep them interested for a long time, but probably don't get too much exercise with. Might be a good start for your though.

·
Super Moderator
27,273 Posts
This is an action shot of Cinderella playing with Da Bird.

Yup, that's how she rolled. She did like it sometimes when I dragged it along the floor.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Simba will watch the lazer pointer... but rarely go after it. Usually ends up watching Boo chase it (she actually does still love to play).

I have a wand toy to that they both take interest for a few minutes, but thats it.

Is that few minutes enough?? Will it turn into a few more minutes??

I usually try even after they gave up for a few minutes. but then I end up saying "you guys are no fun" jokingly to them, and putting it away. I keep them away cuz if its just out all the time they will definately not forget about it.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Hilarious! That Cinderella and my Prince should marry. When he gets off the couch to find her slipper, though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm definitely dont want him to have to have surgery to remove the rubber band. Things like "da-bird" dont interest him at all. When he was a kitten he loved them, now hes like "nope been there done that played with it before, try again".

He gets lots and lots of attention, he loves to sit on top of the recliner and nap, or he sits in my lap and wraps his arms around my neck and nibbles on my collar. Is that a affectionate thing? I assumed it was.

·
Super Moderator
27,273 Posts
Yes, that's affectionate. :grin:

I wouldn't worry, Cleo's pretty young, but has never been one for playing, either. She mostly watches Twin T.V. They keep her entertained (and teach her bad habits).

·
Super Moderator
27,273 Posts
Awww, that's sweet!!!! Sounds like he's a talker. (And when he loses weight, he could become much more active.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.