Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to fatten up my Metoo a bit. She is too skinny from not eating enough. She seems to be not interested in food. Sometimes she eats a bit more and sometimes she leaves half of her bowl. So on average she possibly eats only 4oz food per day. This has been going on for a few months and she got a clean health bill from the vet.

I try to give her more raw food now but my cats are still mainly on wet. So I'm thinking, what if I put Metoo on kitten food? This way she will get more protein & fat by eating the same amount, right? Or is there anything that may compromise her health in the long run by doing so?

·
Registered
90 Posts
The way I see it, nature makes no "life stages" pet food...only commercial companies do. I would seriously consider going back to raw. I had an obese cat and an underweight cat. Once I switched them to raw, they gradually went to the correct weights.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cannot do full raw for them under my current circumstance. I don't have enough variety to offer them. Currently only chicken legs/wings and duck wings. The only organ I can find is liver (does pig stomach count?). I think I have a brief idea where to get rabbit, but then I am appalled to think of chopping rabbit to pieces :/ So at least as of now, they have to set on 75% canned and 25% raw setting.

And even with raw, I have problem with Metoo. She used to love raw food. Back then they just got 2-3 meals of raw every week so it's a rare treat for them. Now they get it almost every night, and Metoo is becoming picky on raw as well. She won't eat liver, so I have to chop liver into small pieces and mix them in. She doesn't like hearts any more, and if she is not in the mood, she still leaves half bowl untouched. So I would assume even if I switch them to full raw, if Metoo doesn't eat enough, it still not help :/

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Is Metoo seriously thin? You got a clean bill of health from the vet, did they say anything about her being underweight? Every cat is different, perhaps she is naturally this size and weight.

I'm in Markham. My two cats are on half-raw/half-wet. With the raw, they don't have that much variety, only beef, chicken and quail. The wet, they get venison, lamb and duck. Perhaps you can offer different meats for the wet since different meats have different protein levels?

To answer your question directly, I'm not sure of the long term implications of feeding specially kitten formulated foods to an adult cat. It might be too rich in something then you might be stuck with a fat cat?

By the way, I love the name. Metoo. I think it's seriously cute!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got both my cats vaccine boosted and checked 2 weeks ago. I do mentioned to my vet about Metoo's weight. Vet says Metoo is on the thin side, but not seriously so to damage her health. I guess maybe it's just her way and I'm worrying too much, but among all cats I had, she is the only one who doesn't take food seriously. Yes I had picky cats before, but once I get them the flavor they approve, they eat with heart. For Metoo, I seriously don't know what food can please her... She always eat half heartiedly, no matter what brand or flavor (I have total 8 brands and numerious flavors) as if meal time is a chore. And stopping Meatball from stealing Metoo's meal is really a headache...

I don't mind end up with getting Metoo too fat with kitten food. Cutting off food from a cat is a lot easier than persuading her to eat more... It's really testing my patience :/

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, I love the name. Metoo. I think it's seriously cute!
Thanks for the comment :) Her name means "kitten rabbit" in Chinese (because she was born in year of rabbit, and she has rabbit-like soft & silky fur), which happens to sound like "Metoo" in English. But it's a cute coincidence, as it makes everyone laugh where first heard her name :D And it really fits her, she is a clown who can always put a smile on my face (except meal time, that's when she makes me frown).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts