Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened a few times but I'm not 100% sure why my cats does this. Sometimes when I'm patting my cat for a while, he'll turn around and bite me. I thought cats enjoyed being petted? This might be a silly question, but is he trying to tell me to stop or something? Thanks ahead for any info! :lol:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Morgan, its not a silly question. A lot of people don't know why their cat bites them while patting. You’re right too! Your kitty is basically telling you he doesn't want to b patted any more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah Homer does that too. After a while you'll get the feel for his body language and know when he doesn't want to be petted any more...before he bites ! lol Homer's mellowed out with age (6 years) and enjoys the petting and attention much more than chomping me these days.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can tell when Max has had enough, he starts whipping or jerking his tail. Ben is a "pat me" pig. He never tires of attention.

I always assumed that a cat considers our petting to be similar to another cat licking or cleaning them. They will appreciate it for a while but only to a certain point when they figure they are clean enough. I have read where cats consider us to be bigger versions of them....where as dogs know us to be masters and "bringers of food"

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mouser used to do that if you pet his rump too much. I agree that it's all about understanding their body language. Don't force yourself on the cat if it doesn't want to be pet or the cat may become distant. Also, try petting the cat more around it's head and scratch it behind the ears. All of my cats love having behind their ears scratched.

- koneko

1 - 5 of 5 Posts