Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden Cherry's become destructive. She's "fighting" the bath mat, shredding rolls of paper towels and ripping up toilet paper rolls(that are on the spinny thing). Is this normal for a cat who's about 10 months old to do? She has plenty of toys and I had given her a pillow that she could play fight with(she rabbit kicks paper towels and the bath mat), but she doesn't play with it unless she's on catnip.

Another thing she's been doing, which I don't mind as much, is dropping toys in water bowls. She's done this twice in the last hour already. She'll pick up something she finds interesting and carry it to her water bowl(or the dog's) and drops it in. Is there a reason for this?

Any tips for stopping or lessening either of these are welcomed!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
She sounds bored - even if they have alot of toys they can get bored with them - try rotating toys - leave some out for abit and then put those away and get out something different - get a few cardboard boxes - cut holes in them as doors and let kitty chew away or play hide - n - seek. My cats LOVE boxes. Do you spend time in a day playing with her? Tire her out - that usually takes their minds off the naughty things ha! As for the water thing - my Tuffy does that with his 'fetch' toys all the time, no idea why but he loved putting them in water.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I play with her a bit, depending on how much homework I have. I'll admit it's probably not enough to tire her out at times.

I'll try the thing with cardboard boxes when we get a few extra. Right now I've got some Quik Tube in my room for her to play with, and she likes that.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
My two also love paper grocery bags -- it keeps em busy for a couple of hours at least. I know alot of stores don't have the paper ones anymore though so my cats rarely get one to play with ha. If you had abit of catnip inside the bag - ohhhh my my!!!! HA!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cherry loves plastic bags, she'll crawl in them and sit down or roll around. It's so funny to watch!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yea, one word: boredom.
Da Bird is a great toy because you can wave it around with one hand but concentrate on something else at the same time. It's great when you are strapped for time.

Cardboard boxes, paper bags and plastic bags are all great ideas; cat condos, especially ones with toys attached are great too, even if its just a small one. Laser pens are also great, they even have ones that move the light around on their own.

Try spraying/rolling her toys in catnip and spraying frequently attacked rugs with no scratch spray to encourage good behavior.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I've started to play with Cherry right before bed with the laser pointer. I'd play with her when I got home, but nothing tires her out like a laser pointer and our house isn't good to use a laser pointer when the sun is up. But what I want to know is when should I stop playing? I don't want to push her too much and I don't want to stop before she's tired. I usually stop after she's panting, but she gets panting quickly because she has a runny nose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts