Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm never going back to my vet again. Here is a picture of Surfboard's eyes.
They are like this a lot of the time, but mostly after he wakes up. When we first got him, a year ago, we treated him for some type of eye problem. We told the vet about his eyes doing this still and they said that it wasn't a big deal. But some threads that I have read seem to indicate otherwise.
So...my questions...
Is this serious?
Does it need to be treated?
What could it be?
He acts very healthy and has had no other problems so when the vet said don't worry, we didn't.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
As far as I know cat use thier third eyelid like that if there is something wrong. DrJean will know more than me.

Is there another vet you can get advice from?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
When they wake up the third eyelid is showing, if normal it'll retract back to it's normal position. But if it's showing all the time, then there's an indication that something is wrong. It could be almost anything so see a vet is a good idea (and go to another one if he/she doesn't want to find out).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
There are several things that can cause this, some you can treat and some you can't.
- dehydration (add more canned food to the diet)
- discomfort (needs the vet to check him out thoroughly)
- congenitally small eyeballs (would cause this look most of the time)

If he's happy and healthy otherwise, it may not be a big deal, but a good exam is the first step to making that determination.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He gets two wet meals a day and usually doesn't finish all we give him. He always has water available...I would think he'd drink as much as he need.
It's almost time for a yearly check up so I think I'll just go ahead and take him.
Thanks for the info! I feel a little better now :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts