Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been taking care of a stray cat in my backyard with a couple of years now. (Had her spayed when she appeared in my yard...)

Recently, I noticed that she has patches of missing fur above her eyes and behind both of her ears...and also another missing patch on her torso.

I would take her to the vet, but being a stray cat, it is almost next to impossible for me to catch/trap her. Tonight, I was able to take some photos of her problem areas. See the pics below. Does anyone know what could be wrong? :cry:

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Poor kitty, I don't know what it is but if you are looking to trap it, you can contact your local vet or spca and they can set you up with a trap to lure the cat into a cage maybe. Good Luck :!:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm wondering if it is because she has ear mites. When I first got my kitten, she had them, and before the drops started working she would scratch at her ears so hard that she'd pull out whole tufts of fur around her ears. One spot was even red and raw. If you can get close enough to her to see in her ears, see if there is a dark build-up of what looks almost like coffee-grounds... that is the excess wax caused by mites. Anyway, just an idea.... good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
PS - The pix of the area around her ears look very similar to how my kitty's ears looked.... also I would occasionally notice little tufts of fur between her back toes, cause she'd pulled it out scratching. Just something to look for.....

·
Registered
305 Posts
Can you take the pics to a vet, if you can't catch her? I too would bet it is ear mites. The patches above the eyes may be normal? I say this because our two guys, if you look at them at the right angle appear to have missing hair above their eyes. I think it may just be naturally thinner in that area. Our guys don't get outside without us supervising and on a lead.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cat Sugar has thinner hair above her eyes too, I'll post a pic when I can but I was always wondering why she was thinning there. <<))

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Looks like it might be ringworm (a fungal infection). Which by the way is extremely contagious to you and every other mammal in contact with her. This needs to be properly diagnosed and if it is ringworm, treated immediately!

If you start notice small red circular patches on yourself that are very itchy, call your doctor and get on medicine for it.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts