Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday I went to see a production of Twelfth Night at the Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, which had been touring America. It was brilliant - very funny! :D Last summer I saw A Midsummer Night's Dream there, which was also very good. And next week I'm going to see a modern adaptation of Romeo and Juliet.
I was just wondering, what are everyone's favourite Shakespeare plays?

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I think Macbeth has a wonderful theme and a real surprise ending! I love Portia's "mercy speech" from The Merchant of Venice. Well, let's face it; the man was a genius.

I did a long paper about the "heretics," those who thought Shakespeare did not write his works. (Mark Twain was one of them.) Many thought he copied Marlow, or that Marlow had not died. Others thought he was de Vere. One group thought his works were written by a group of people, which included Queen Elizabeth and Sir Walter Raleigh!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Although I've never seen a real Shakespeare's play in person, I've read Romeo and Juliet two times and saw both an old version and new version of the movie. It helped that it was a required project in my freshman year but after doing it I found I loved Romeo and Juliet. lol I also liked Julius Caesar, which was required in sophmore year. I can't remember if Julius Cassare was by Shakespeare, but I liked it anyway. lol I haven't read any other works by him but so far I think the guy was really wise and talented. :)

- Randy

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen a couple of film versions of Romeo and Juliet, one set in modern times, and another set in Elizabethan times. People are always coming up with new ways of interpreting things - for example, the play I am seeing next week is set in a modern-day boarding school. However, the Twelfth Night I saw was how I imagine it would have been done in Shakespeare's time. It had an all-male cast (women weren't allowed to act in those days :evil: ) and wonderful Elizabethan-style costumes. However, it got a bit confusing because the character Viola, who disguises herself as a boy, was being played by a boy... so it was a boy being a girl being a boy! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts