Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed in the last couple of days that Chloe is starting to accasionally make proper meow sounds rather than her previous attempts. Before she would start with a meow noise but end it with a strange clicking noise. Before she started attempted the clicking noise she just squeaked away. Toshi is still just squeaking! They are both 9 months old. Do cats learn to meow as they grow up or is this just Chloe trying different techniques to get my attention!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Some cats never learn to meow. I had a stray that never meowed at all but she could purr. My cat Munchkin was a very good meower at the age of 3 months 8O

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Gracie rarely meows - she mostly mumbles or makes a melodious up-and-down sound in her throat like an extended 'oo' from the word "oops". She makes that clicking sound (or something rather like 'kakk-kakk-kakk') when she bird-watches. She is just a year old.

It may have to do with breed or ancestry in your kittens? British Shorthairs are known to be quiet rather than talkative - maybe that is supposed to mean that they don't meow. She certainly makes her share of communicative sounds.

:) Fran

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Gracie, why don't you meow to your cat. I'm not kidding. Cats' meowing-type vocalizations are mainly for humans. I'll bet she'll pick it up pretty fast if you do it to her.

·
Super Moderator
26,354 Posts
Cleo has never meowed. She my only talker.

Cinderella meows. Boy, does she ever.

Charlee trills and makes R2D2 noises. Quite entertaining.

Cali opens her mouth and a soft little "k" sound and a little hiss comes out.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Blueberry (10) has been a meower so long I can't remember...but it was in his first year. More often, he just says, "Ma." and I like that, of course. Nina says "Meep, MaMa," and assorted sounds. Just recently I heard a complete "Mee----ow!' She was really anxious for me to open the can! I love the MaMa, though! It's a kitty sound, not a human sound, but it makes me happy. :D Nina is 4.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
I think a cat either has it or doesn't, not that they learn it later. I never had a cat with a meow until I got Kobi. My best friend would come in my house and listen to squeeks and meeps and kuh-kuh-kuh sounds and say to my cats 'will you guys get a REAL meow".

But Kobi totally makes up for the 3 before him. Holly make lots of noises and once in a while trots out a real meow, but not often. She's more likely to chirp or trill and make R2D2 noises as Marie called them.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Arianwen makes a surprising variety of sounds, from a few softly spoken human words, to loud meows, to trills and meeps and brrrups. :lol:

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
In addition, if we're all spread around the house in different rooms, pegs will sit in the hallway and go "OWWOWOW" sounds JUST like "Is there anyone there?!?"
The first time I heard it, I thought she'd got her tail trapped in something LOL.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
doodlebug said:
I think a cat either has it or doesn't,
I have to say my experience is different. Just within the past couple days Twinkie has started meowing like crazy. Previously he almost never meowed. I knew he could because he did it in the carrier on the way home. And to and from the vet's. But outside of that it was just "errrrrrm." Oddly enough I had a discussion with him a couple of days ago about whether he could meow (I find "ermmmmm" to be annoying) and within the next couple days he started meowing like crazy. It's bizarre. I'm sure it's just coincidence with my little pep talk. I think the reason he's started vocalizing is that Rocket is out of the house, and Rocket was always the vocal cat. Twinkie never could get a word in sideways. So now he's making up for lost time. :lol:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
coaster said:
doodlebug said:
I think a cat either has it or doesn't,
I have to say my experience is different. Just within the past couple days Twinkie has started meowing like crazy. Previously he almost never meowed. I knew he could because he did it in the carrier on the way home. And to and from the vet's. But outside of that it was just "errrrrrm." Oddly enough I had a discussion with him a couple of days ago about whether he could meow (I find "ermmmmm" to be annoying) and within the next couple days he started meowing like crazy. It's bizarre. I'm sure it's just coincidence with my little pep talk. I think the reason he's started vocalizing is that Rocket is out of the house, and Rocket was always the vocal cat. Twinkie never could get a word in sideways. So now he's making up for lost time. :lol:
Aww :wink: , I miss the pictures you had in your signature!!

·
Super Moderator
26,354 Posts
I should add that Cali CAN meow, I don't think she knows how to do it on purpose. The only time I've ever heard her meow (i.e., cry) was in the carrier on the way to the E.R. when she broke her toes, and it wasn't the pain, it was being separated from Charlee for the first time ever.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Duchess has many meows. One meow means, get up, its time for breakfast. Another means, clean out the litter box. Still another meow means my dry food bowl is low. She has distinct meows for what she wants.
She was 9 months old when she took over my house and it took her about a year to train me :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts