Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. I wanted to ask a question and now I can't find the thread :roll:
Anyways, here it is;
Have vet appt next week for neutering; I must leave cat with doctor the eve before surgery_this is a tame feral, not a housecat, but they treat him as such here_cat is to be neutered the next morn.
I want the doctor perform FeLK test before. Should I tell him now beforehand or can I tell them when I take the cat in? Thank-you :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Testing

There are instant Feluk/aids tests the vet can do the day you bring the cat in. However, not all vets carry the test. You may want to call and ask if they have some one hand and let them know ahead of time you want him tested. You also need to prepare yourself for any negative results that may come back. Have you thought about that yet? Will you keep him? Do you have other cats to be concerned with if he is infected? Post your questions and concerns and I and others will be glad to help you with this.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank-you Abhay and spittles; I'll talk to the vet. I'm only taking 1 cat but I must make myself clear to him because I don't think they have handled ferals before..neither have I, I don't want to call it a try-out but somehow it feels like that..ah-well, we have to start someplace :wink:
I've given some thought as to what to do if the cat's positive; I will release it back because
1) there's a man that considers the cat his and is attached to it; though it's actually a tame feral, probably alpha male.
2) The cat can be positive now but doesn't show symptoms, is a big, solid, healthy looking cat. So that if neutered he wouldn't fight as much as before nor bite scruffs transmitting the virus. Of course he can catch anything but I'll watch out knowing that he's + and he develops something hard to treat he'll have to be euthanized. And his 'owner' will understand that.
I realize that his partners_3 females at the moment_ and 2 litters very likely are + too, I'll wacht out for illness but unless they get obviously sick and can't be treated, won't euthanize.
Thank-you, let me know what you think of it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow-up on same.
The cat's name is Blackie. Let's call the man 'Bill'. It's a somewhat delicate situation because 'Bill' is mentally handicapped and I'm not sure to what point he'll understand what to do for Blackie. I'll let my husband do the explaining because he knows Bill better. Blackie is allright with Bill, the cat is a friend to him so I wouldn't want to spoil that. Though I think he'll understand that if the cat is sick and I can't treat him, he'll have to be put down
As for the other cats; the kittens are too old to tame..I think. One of the mothers came to us today while we were feeding them and kept hissing wich I think is a good sign since she has been very shy, waiting until people leaves to feed..or maybe she was too hungry :?:
I've other questions but I'll leave them for later. Thank-you so much for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts