Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How old should a Cat be when you switch off from Kitten food to Adult food? Tierney is 9 months.

Tierney now eats all dry food, with some tuna mixed in a as a treat about once a week. I really don't care for wet food.

What brand is the best? I saw something yesterday about mixing dry foods?

I know this is going to give me alot of people's opinion, but that's ok, that's what I want.

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
if he is already neutered, then he should be on adult food, i read that they're energy levels decrease dramatically due to the loss of their testosterone.

as for feeding dry food only, are you sure you want to do this? many members will agree that you'll regret it in the future when your overweight cat has a UTI due to too much dry food (carbohydrates) and that he's not getting enough liquid, unless your cat drinks a lot.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He does drink alot, I usually fill the bowl twice a day.

yes I am VERY sure, the smell of the food makes me get sick. I don't think it's worth it for me to be nausiated by the food. Unless you know a brand that doesn't smell?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, the fact that i throw up when wet food is opened is why i do not like it,

there are many cats that live just fine on dry food alone, i am just asking a question here as to what dry food to use, not to be attacked.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, what I feed my cats is Natural Balance. You can buy it at PetCo. I like it is because it is a food for all life stages. This works well for me since I have a kitten and an adult cat.

Natural Balance has really good ingredients, and no corn, wheat, or other cheap fillers.

Another really good food that is usually cheaper than Natural Balance is Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul. I've found this food to be a bit harder to find, but they have it in kitten and adult.

Since I'm feeding Natural Balance I don't need a kitten food, but I've always heard to feed them a kitten food until they are one year old unless they are on a food for all life stages.

As far as mixing dry foods, I would rotate them not mix them. I have 3 brands that I rotate every 4 months.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Maybe you opened some bad wet food? What brand did you try? Please, don't give up and try to feed them wet food.

I switched to adult food after they got spayed (at the age of 5 and half months).

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well, I have to admit that what appeals to a kitty's sense of smell is not the same as what appeals to me. :D Angel's wet food stinks and that is all there is to it. But she still gets a serving of it, every evening. It smells pretty awful to me, but she loves it and it is good for her, so the smell is not that big a factor for me. I just grin and bear it.

I have mentioned this in other threads, but I free feed Chicken Soup and then give her a serving of wet food each evening. Angel loves them both, eats well and her coat is amazingly soft and downy. She has zero problems with stomach upset, no diarrhea and no smelly stools.

Of course, your mileage may vary. Tierney does reserve the right to be finicky, you know. :wink: Just because one food works for one kitty doesn't meant that it will work for Tierney, as you may well have expected. When you decide to try something, try to purchase small quantities until you know that Tierney will like it.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice, I am using IAMS, which I know is not the best. I have tried there wet food, and that is what made me sick, and he hardley ate it. It looks Like Chicken Soup might be the first one i try, as a couple of you seem to like it. He was fixed months ago, but everything I saw said to feed him kitten food till 1 year. I am almost out of the kitten food, so the next bag I buy I want to be the adult formula.

Thanks guys! please keep anything else you have coming!

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I find that the better quality wet foods smell WAY better. I am currently feeding my cats Wellness wet food and it smells similar to canned chicken or turkey. Just avoid the flavours with fish in them if canned food makes you ill. I know that the flavours like turkey and chicken smell better. I think Wysong foods would smell better too because they are made solely from meat (Venison, rabbit, chicken), but it is considerably more expensive (at least where I live).
As for dry food, there are a number of quality foods available. The best I've heard of are chicken soup, felidae (although there are some members who have had stinky poo from it), innova, wellness, natural balance and solid gold. Nutro natural choice is pretty popular too, although it is slightly less quality than the others (but much better than many other foods).
I agree though that you should give wet food another chance, there are some good brands out there.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My cats do well on the Chicken Soup.
For canned I agree with the others that many of the higher quality canned foods are as smelly. Iams canned food really smells as well as a few other brands such as Friskies...I remember getting so grossed out by the smell when I opened them. Active Life makse a nice canned food and it actually smells good. I've use Innova, Wellness and Eagle Pack often and the smell of those don't seem to bother me at all.

·
Registered
237 Posts
random thought: i'm feeding my kittens both wet & dry varieties of nutro max cat -- good food or bad food? i'd like to hear your thoughts... and would also like to know if i should switch them to adult food -- they're both spayed/neutered and ~7 months old.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think Nutro is middle of the road food. It's not what I would consider a super premium food but it's certainly not the worst food either. It has a lot of grain ingredients in the first 5, that's why I prefer other brands over it.

You can feed kitten food til they are one year of age. If you have adult cats and kittens you can feed all of them kitten food if you free feed.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I feed our cats Nutro (pouches). I'm in Canada and not all food which is in US is available here. After telling Dr.Jean what food is available here, she told me Nutro is the best. The cats love it and I think it has good ingredients.

Most of the vets will tell you to switch to adult food after yout spay/neuter the kittens. And that's what I did. :) I don't think you need to wait till the age of 12 months.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
You don't have to wait until 12 mths to feed your cats Adult food. Iams had smelly cans when I fed my kittens that a loooong time ago. I use Innova, Wellness, Solid Gold, and Nutro Natural Choice pouches. The ones I use now barely stink and are very good for your kittys belly too. If you are more on a budget or want a canned type of food close to home like at Petsmart or something, I would recommend the Nutro Natural Choice pouches, tons of gravy, cats love them and they're pretty cheap...like .50 per pouch. Good Luck :!:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I find the Wellness flavors pretty good. I did just have a gross one, Salmon and Trout, which my cats seem to hate even more than I do. I think that the chicken, beef and turkey are all fine and don't smell at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Haha... I am the same way... maybe I'm living vicariously through Maya, but when I see how excited SHE gets about the smell of her food, I get kinda excited about it too!! Yes, weird, I know. :D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
firelightsj said:
Haha... I am the same way... maybe I'm living vicariously through Maya, but when I see how excited SHE gets about the smell of her food, I get kinda excited about it too!! Yes, weird, I know. :D
We are ruled by cats! :D They made us like their food! ha ha ha

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok..
I really wanted to use Chicken Soup but it seems the only place near me that sells it is about 30 minutes away. so, i bought Natural Choice Adult Indoor Forulma Food today, i even bought a couple of wet pouches to try. Tierney wet nuts for the dry food so i know he likes it.

I havn't tried the wet stuff yet. How much should i be giving him if i do wet and dry?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts