Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday Jeff and I went to our local shelter to bring some food and newspapers. There were so many kittens and young cats there, all the cages were full. I heared this shelter was on their way to be a "non-kill" shelter, so I just had to ask.. :( Apparently, they still have a very long way to go to reach their goal...When I look at all those faces staring back at me in their cages, it is just heart-breaking. The staff told me that 2 older brown tabbies had already been there several weeks and their time was already up..I left the shelter with no cat and much saddness...and difficulty sleeping. I thought about adopting one at that very moment, but; Misha has an aggression problem. I don't think it would be fair to bring another cat in my home at this time when Misha still, (although she has come a long way), still needs more improvement with the biting problem and breaking the skin.

I'm babbling a bit..sorry, I'm just so sadden by seeing all those kittens and knowing some/many will be put to sleep...and feeling so helpless... :( I hope you understand..

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm sure all of us here feel that same way when we visit a shelter. The overpopulation problem is so heartbreaking. So many need loving homes and very few get one. :cry:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I hear ya. My heart breaks every time I see an older animal with health problems come through the shelter because it's so hard to place them. It's worse when it's a cat...I can think of a couple I'd absolutely love to bring home if Assumpta could even just tolerate another animal, and I think that's what kills me the most, it's like swimming upstream with your hands tied some days. I know I could take care of them and love them, but the stress of an extremely hostile resident cat would make them even sicker than they already are.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It was probably good that you didn't bring them home - making a split second decision to bring home a pet is never a good idea. I know it hurts - but that's the way it is - at least the shelter you are at is trying to become a no-kill - and that is something to look forward to.

What goals are they trying to reach? A certain amount of money? Maybe you could do a bake sale, care wash or something else to raise the money to make it full time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: I have been calling around to the non-kill rescue groups in my area, (around 12 of them) most of them have told me that there full themselves and cannot help, and several told me that they go to this shelter about once a month when they are able to...

However, I spoke to a women from a rescue group, Alley Cats, and she will be going over there today to rescue some of the kittens and possible a few of the other kitties that their time is up. This is at least something!!! Even if Alley Cats rescue's a few of these cats, even if it were just 1, that is 1 less that may have been put to sleep, that is the way I feel, anyway.

If you would like to know more about this kitten rescue group, here is there website www.alleycatrescue.com

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I'm lucky that I work at an essentially 'no-kill' shelter, although it is hard. They still euthanize 'unadoptable' animals, such as very old animals, animals that are not recovering from their treated illness, vicious animals, obese, diabetic, and epileptic animals, as well as ones with severe tartar. When their are 150 cats to choose from, noone wants the fat/sick/high maintenance ones.

I had the unfortunate experience of walking through a mess of dead dogs today, some that I was unsure why they even had been euthanized. It's really hard when you can't tell from the outside why an animal is ear-marked for death. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
It is so sad. I would like to volunteer at a shelter, but I know I couldn't take it. I would want to take them all home to save them.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
fbodgrl said:
It is so sad. I would like to volunteer at a shelter, but I know I couldn't take it. I would want to take them all home to save them.
That's what I said, and I do want to take them all home, especially the old and sick ones, and the "problem children." We're very low-kill, and have cats that have been with us since last year, but it's still heartbreaking to see the beautiful long-haired Maine-coon type half-shaved and with only one eye, or the gorgeous Persian-type who's old and frail and dying of sadness, or the kitty who looks appealing but needs just the right handling or he'll get violent...you wonder who's possibly going to adopt them.

And you see them, week after week, and other, cuter, healthier cats and kittens come and go, and then you remember why you're there...someone has to feed and clean and brush and love the ones who never get a chance to go home. I said "I could never do this," but there I am, scooping litterboxes and dishing up the Friskies and Meow Mix, chasing after the escape artists, coaxing the sad kitty to eat another bite, and worrying about this one and that one.

Someone has to do it, and I got to the point where I was sick of "someone" not being me. I picked the crud detail (morning cleaning, where we are terribly shorthanded), but there are lots of ways to help a shelter...donations, sponsorships, shopping, running errands, building & grounds maintenance...many shelters have community outreach and education programs and are always looking for fundraisers. So it's not all up-close and personal with the animals...maybe there IS something that's right for you...it's a tired chestnut, but every little bit really *does* help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts