Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blitz and Clementine are four months old now and eat like little monsters. They eat Natures Variety raw, switching between kinds. They would easily eat 2 Or more ounces three times a day. At what age should their food be more measured and controlled? Right now we don't weigh their food, just split up an 8oz patty. I refuse to let them get fat.

·
Banned
603 Posts
While they are kittens (until 12 months old), they are suppose to be fed as much as they want. They are growing very fast and using all that energy up quickly. Around 4 months cats seem to have a magor growth spurt too.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
6 oz a day is VERY little for growing kittens! They should eat as much as they want to 3X a day. Now is NOT the time to worry about them getting fat.

I would not start really limiting food until 9-12 mos, depending on size/weight.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
At that age Shepherd Book was easily eating twice that amount. I gave him huge quantities until just about a year old. I could see him starting to get a little belly and he wasn't desperate for food anymore. Then I started cutting him back and watching for weight loss (to know when to stop cutting him back). He and MowMOw are both eating about 8-9 ounces a day now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts