Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering when I need to lower the percentage of how much I feed my cat. He is a siberian forest cat and is almost 6 months old. Do I continue to do the 4% amount until 12 months?? Are there any guidelines? He is on an commercial raw diet - I feed him before I go to work -- when I get home around 6:30 then a snack around 10 or 10:30. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Jonah was getting well over 4% (more like 6%) until he was a year old. He stayed slim so I kept it up. When he started to bulk out just a LITTLE, I backed off. You want the cat to be slim and slender, so just keep feeding until you can see that he's about to stop being that. Then reduce the amount to get him back there. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Remy eats probably a little under 4%... it's not that I'm not offering 4%... but he just stops eating when he has had enough. He is slim... but still gaining.
This is a good guideline.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Somewhere in my travels around the web I found a site that had a chart showing how many calories a cat should get per day. It was pretty detailed, broke it out by number of weeks/years of age and activity level. I meant to bookmark it but I forgot and now I can't find it again.

My cat is also 6 months (according to the paperwork from the shelter, my vet feels he's younger) so from what I remember from the chart, I should start cutting back on the calories in the next month. If I find it, I'll post it. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about and will have a link handy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
At under a year, I would still probably let the kitten eat as much as it wants at a sitting. I would only cut back if it starts to gain weight. If your kitten is eating and maintaining a healthy weight, I wouldn't change a thing at this point.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Somewhere in my travels around the web I found a site that had a chart showing how many calories a cat should get per day. It was pretty detailed, broke it out by number of weeks/years of age and activity level. I meant to bookmark it but I forgot and now I can't find it again.

My cat is also 6 months (according to the paperwork from the shelter, my vet feels he's younger) so from what I remember from the chart, I should start cutting back on the calories in the next month. If I find it, I'll post it. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about and will have a link handy.
Found it. It's down the page a bit under the Energy Requirements heading.

Feline Nutrition

1 - 6 of 6 Posts