Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reason I ask is I recall reading posts about kitty's poo smelling bad and replies saying probably the high content food not being digested. I don't need a lesson in good vs. bad food, been there done that. She's currently 7-8 months and been eating Maxximum Nutrition mostly, tried Nutro also... her poo has usually been fairly odorless, unless I give her some human tuna or chicken... but lately it's been smelling more :evil:

From what I've read a kitten is considered up to 1 year old right? So has everyone waited until that time to move their kitty from kitten food to adult? I've looked on the bags of food to see what the major difference is and just seems to be protein & fat amount, more in kitten for their growing needs. She's gulping down 2/3 cup per day, 1/3 in morning and another at night, sometimes the bowl is empty others just a lil bit left so I think the quantity is about right.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
My vet took my kitten off kitten food at 4 months because we couldn't keep my adult cat from eating it. Now my adult cat is too fat. :shock:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi
my kitten is 10 months old, and he has a mixture of kitten wet food and adult wet food, and adult dry food
I think it is fine to start switching to adult food
the main reason I started with adult food when our kitten was 7-8 months is that we could only buy limited types of kitten food and he was getting bored with the same flavours (he is a bit fussy)

I discussed with my vet, and he said there isn't an awful lot of difference between kitten and adult food, though you might find your kitten will need slightly more food if he is having adult food
and my vet also said, 10-15 years ago there was no such thing as kitten food and plenty of kittens grew up fine

I hope this puts your mind at rest
I had hoped to keep my kitten on kitten food until 1 year, but he was so bored with the flavours, but he is growing fine and is very healthy so I don't think it really matters

hope this helps
Julia

1 - 4 of 4 Posts