Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat has just given 2 kittens last night. So I think it's time to spay her but I have no idea when should I get her to a clinic/hospital?

Should it be better to spay her after all kittens weaning but I'm afraid that she might get pregnant again, is it possible? (I always let my cat stay outside because she likes it)

Any suggestion, please?

Thanks much.
Sam

·
Registered
656 Posts
I do not know when for sure you can spay after kitten birth. I think it is after weening the kittens. However a cat who is nurseing can and will get pregnant.

You cant possibly mean you allow your cat and her newborn kittens to be outside? I think I misunderstood. Please keep kitty inside at least until she is spayed. This is the only way to keep her from being pregnant.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would wait until the kittens have been weaned, after 8-12 weeks. During that time you'll just have to make sure she doesn't meet any nice gentlemens. She can go into heat three weeks after giving birth so keep her inside with her kittens.

There's also another risk if your cat goes outside. The risk that she'll get hurt or disappears. What will you do with the kittens if the mother disappears or is badly hurt? It's a huge job to raise kittens by oneself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for advices. I was worried that my cat would like to go outside in next 3 or 4 weeks but looks like that wouldn't be a very good idea anymore. I don't like having more kittens so soon. :cry:

(hmm... 3 weeks after giving birth, cat is very reproductive. :shock: )

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Be very careful. Keep her indoors at all times until she's finished weaning the kittens. Then get her spayed immediately. One female cat and her offspring could produce up to 420,000 kittens in a seven year span.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Padunk said:
Be very careful. Keep her indoors at all times until she's finished weaning the kittens. Then get her spayed immediately. One female cat and her offspring could produce up to 420,000 kittens in a seven year span.
:shock: Oh my! Those are a lot of furballs!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Yep, I think the statistic is a million cats in 10 years.

It demonstrates how important spaying/neutering is. There will always be more than enough cats in the world, they should only be intentionally bred if it's to improve a particular breed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts