Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My cat is about 5 months old and has been on raw since I got him in July. He eats mostly whole adult mice and whole chicks with some franken-prey meals in between.

He eats a lot, basically however much he wants since he is a kitten, but he does have a tiny bit of a tummy roll. Is a bit of fat when they are kittens normal? Should I start cutting back on his food?

He weighs 7 pounds right now, and the average weight of cats is about 8-15 pounds. I would guess that he gets to around 10 pounds. If I feed him 3-5% of his estimated adult weight I will be giving him 4.8-8 ounces a day. From my calculations, he has been on the high end of that spectrum. Does cutting back to 6-6.5 ounces a day sound right for a 7 lb 5 month old cat?

Edit: When looked at from above he does not look fat, in fact he has a slight waist. His body seems to be perfect except for his tummy pooch. Should that even be reason enough to cut back on food?

·
Registered
834 Posts
A tummy pouch is normal for many cats/kittens. If you can see his waist then he is perfect. At 5 months he should still be free fed. Lisbeth had a 'bag' even when she was a tiny starving waif, as did Coco and Effie when they were little kittens and too skinny - just after we adopted them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts