Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Panther is 15.5 months and weights appx 13 lbs. He is just a big cat, he is muscular. I feed him raw, but he eats more than 3% of his body weight. I know some cats just eat more to maintain their weight, but Panther is growing. He basically gained 1.5 lbs in the last 1.5 month.

Should I consider him "adult" and try to maintain his weight? Or should I just give him all he wants to eat (he stops when he is full, he is not those who will eat endlessly, but he eats a lot) to let him grow? (Of course I will make sure he is not growing fat.) How do I know if he has reached maturity?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I don't remember what kind of cat he is, but some are kittens until 2 or 3 years of age. If he is still growing, you should definitely allow him to eat all he wants, or he could become malnourished with bad bone formation, loose muscle mass, stunted growth, etc. If he ever starts to look a little plump, then you will know to back off on the food a bit.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My Teddy grew until he was 2. I would keep feeding him what he wants as long as it is lean weight. If he starts getting pudgy, I would cut back.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Some cats keep growing until they're 2...and certain breeds don't mature until they're 3 or 4. As long as he's healthy and isn't putting on fat, then I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Interesting post...I was just going to ask something similar. Azalia is going to be 2 in January and has definitely grown since I got her last year...not only weight on the scale, but physically she's just much much bigger. She is now about 11.5 lbs (she was 9.5 lbs when I first got her, but is not pudgy just large.

I have cut down her food at times because she does seem to put on weight easily, but now, she keeps getting longer and taller if you will. She's some sort of tabby mixed with a norwegain forest cat so I am thinking she might still grow for another year or so.

But yes, if there is no real fat gain, I would feed as much as he will eat.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Panther is a domestic short hair, umm, since he is back and muscular, maybe a gene of Bombay?

He still has visible waist line, I can still feel his ribs if I stroke down a little bit.

Maybe I got a mini Panther in the house!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
He looks good to me :) Is he very active? Even if he's done growing, he will eat more if he's really active. My tiny Pumpkin used to eat more than my friend's full grown male cat, but she is solid muscle. If you saw her, she is almost looks too skinny and maybe 5 lbs tops, but she actually weighs around 7 or 8 lbs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think he is very active. He plays with Mui Mui who is a kitten sometimes, but not really actively engaged in the running. He does jumps up and down a lot to get on counters, laps, beds. When we give him da bird, then he will jump like there is no tomorrow.

So I think he is just moderately active.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts