Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peanut just nearly gave me one a few minutes ago. I was putting away clothes and closing up the drawer. Peanut thought it would be fun to paw at the drawer as it was closing. I accidentally closed the drawer on his paw. He gave a shriek and after I quickly opened the drawer, he ran under our bed. I thought I broke his paw and actually had a mini-panic attack, complete with crying(the tears could have been from hormones. My monthly visitor is on the way). He came out from under the bed and I checked him over. No break, although it looks a little swollen. He's walking on it fine though, so I dodged a bullet there. But yea, that was scary.

So, what's your story on how your cat scared the crap out of you?

·
Registered
237 Posts
That would be daily. Miss M is FEARLESS. There is nothing she will not climb and no jump she will not attempt. Nine times out of ten watching her play involves my heart taking permanent residence in my throat.

·
Registered
435 Posts
When I came home from work one spring day, went up three flights of stairs to my apartment, and saw Ritz outside on the balcony. Three stories high, a certain death drop.
The screen in the patio door had developed a small hole and, being the curious cat she is, she had slipped through to investigate, but couldn't figure how to get back in.
Heart attack city.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Toby door darted out the back door. I wasn't really worried, as I know he can't scale my 6 foot brick wall. But I didn't think about my 30 foot palm trees. he grabbed on with all 4 paws in started jumping up like a lumberjack. I knew I had 1 shot at him and was able to jump up and grab him when he was about 6 feet off the ground.

in that split second I already started thinking about the embarrassment of having to call the fire department.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not really a heart attack, but it's always cringe-worthy when a cat appears out of nowhere and you kick it or step on its toes. I feel like this happens all the time. Poor kitties just want to be friendly :(

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The day after Prince came to live with me, me having zero experience with cats, I came into the living room to find him outside the window (6 floors high) sitting on the A/C box and watching the birds. I very slowly approached, grabbed him with all my might and drew him inside. Only then did I breathe.

He does almost give me a heart attack on days he won't answer me when called in the park at night. He did that last night too. I'll call him for a long time, then I'll suddenly notice he's under me, by my leg, looking up all puzzled like "wonder why mommy looks so distraught".

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
not mine: a friend had her cat loose in the car, while driving at interstate speeds the cat was looking out the passenger window and stepped on the power window control, open window :in the fast lane: cat with both paws now up on windowframe..she managed to get over and pull off close the window grab the cat's harness and get the leash that she had taken off back on (we were going to be driving for two hours, what could happen)

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I guess it's been whenever we haven't been able to find the cats.

Once we didn't see Blacky for like 24 hours, the only time she's ever done that. We were extremely worried, she'd been going on a walk with us and she was found around last location we'd seen her, just a few houses away... it was really strange behavior. She showed up just in time, we were going to the cabin and I wouldn't have gone if she hadn't shown up. We'd mentioned to our neighbors that we couldn't find her and when we returned they told us they hadn't seen her... we felt terrible that we hadn't told them we'd found her but I was also slightly insulted that they'd think we'd take off for a few days without locating her.

Blaze has snuck out a few times, just in the backyard but we didn't always realise where right away. Once we couldn't find him for maybe an hour.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Reminds me of when I trapped a friendly abandoned cat, new to my colony, to get neutered. Put him a carrier in the back seat of my car. Went inside for about 30 minutes. Came outside and saw that the emergency lights were flashing.
"Petey" had gotton out of the carrier, went in the front of the seat, and somehow activated the flashers. I eventually got him back in the cat carrier, and put a 20 pound bag of cat food on top of the carrier.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Constantly!

Last week we had two 'event's. Evie ran under my OH's feet (as cats generally do, but my Ragdolls seem to be drawn to feet!) and he trod on her paw. It made the most horrific noise and she ran off and hid. Now, Evie never does this. They meow and grump, but never run off and it's unknown that she would hide. We were so worried. Eventually we coaxed her out with the temptation of treats. Her paw seemed fine, but it was an awful experience.

Last week (again! It was a traumatic week in kitty land) I couldn't find Mitzi anywhere. My girls ALWAYS come when called, so I was somewhat concerned that she didn't appear. I was running round, calling her name, with Evie with me. I was getting more and more worried, despite knowing there was no way she could have gotten out of the apartment. My OH eventually heard a tiny meow and push of our wardrobe door. Mitzi was in there, completely relaxed. I don't even know when or how she got in. Mitzi's only concern was that she may have been missing out on treats as I'd called her name so many times!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, Alkee disappeared. We are preparing to move house and hubby and I were busy decluttering. Alkee is usually not far away from me most of the time, and I noticed she wasn't around. I called her several times, and she didn't come or answer, which isn't like her. So both hubby and I started searching the house. We looked everywhere and couldn't find her, so concluded she might have slipped outside while the front door was open briefly. How do you find a white cat in the snow! I didn't figure she went that far as she's indoor cat. Walked around the house and down the laneway into the park....no Alkee! After I came back, hubby asked if I had checked the garage since he had been putting stuff in there. So opened the garage door, called and could hear a faint meow. She was stuck in a corner under a lot of heavy junk and I got her out after a bit of a struggle. She was shivering she was so cold, and temp was 33F and she had been huddled on the cold cement floor. Just lucky it wasn't really cold, as Devon Rexes don't have a warm coat. How did she get out there, as hubby said he hadn't left the door open? Apparently she was in the pet stroller that had been covered by a big towel and he wheeled it out to the garage! Occasionally she sleeps in it. I know that sick-in-the-pit-of-your-tummy feeling when a cat goes missing, and felt I was going to have a heart attack!

·
Registered
171 Posts
My boyfriend and I had a failed first attempt at hanging some shelves for my boys. (The anchors we used pulled right out of the wall while Sammy was on it) My bf put it back into the wall even though I mentioned that it seemed like a silly thing to do since we had to find a different solution and take it out anyway. And of course, I left it there instead of taking it out rationalizing it that they couldn't reach it from the floor. A couple days later, I left for a two week vacation and forgot about the booby trap shelf. When I walked in after my vacay, only Alex came to greet me at the door which was unusual. I saw the shelf had fallen again (apparently, they could reach it by jumping from the TV) and I had a heart attacking thinking Sammy was under it squished or some other horrifying injury. Fortunately he was okay, just pouting.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Milky is rather clumsy at times and seems (we think) afraid of heights as he hasn't ventured higher than the tallest section of his cat tree yet in the 6 months we've had him. We usually keep his cage in front of our walk in closet with the door firmly closed. The other day Milky decided to climb up the side of it (yes, like spiderman!!), all the way up and over the top. He very cleverly used the gaps to clutch on to!! Then when he got to the top something on the floor caught his attention and he tried to dive down onto it, and almost getting his hind leg caught in one of the gaps, causing him to almost tumble down onto the floor. My husband and I watched in horror as there was nothing really we could do in the split second that it all happened...

Since then, he has had daily attempts at climbing up to sit on top of the cage. He must think he's king of the world with the good view!! haha :p

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think the last time I really felt my heart stop and couldn't breathe over one of my cats was about three or four years ago. It was winter and we had a space heater that the cats would sleep in front of. In the middle of the night I woke up to use the bathroom and saw Apollo stretched out in front of it, so I stopped to pet him. He didn't stir, so just to ease my mind (I do this constantly), I picked him up a bit to make sure he was still alive. He was completely limp in my hands! I was absolutely sure that he had died during the night and I was so horrified that I immediately woke my husband up. By the time my husband was fully awake (perhaps thirty seconds later), Apollo was moving and just fine. Seemed rather perturbed that I had disturbed his sleep (as was hubby). I think my husband still thinks I overreacted, but at least you all understand!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts