Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where cats are more popular than dogs in the U.S.—and all over the world (article)

Where cats are more popular than dogs in the U.S.?and all over the world - The Washington Post

I already shared one article today (which is usually my self-imposed limit), but I found this one too interesting to keep to myself. It's quite close, but I'm actually surprised that there are more cats (owners) than dogs (in the US, anyway) - I've always assumed dogs were the clear favourite.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I've always known there are more cats than dogs. The main reason I read is because people have cats in multiple numbers. But dogs are more pampered, plus you can take them with you, and just throw them together with other dogs, which is so cool, I wish cats were like that.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Cats are just easier than dogs. No license fees, no obedience classes, they don't need to be walked outside in order to relieve themselves, and I'm very glad my dog walking/dog sitting days ended before the advent of pooper-scooper laws. They are also less liability to homeowners and landlords. I've never heard of a cat killing anyone by attacking and mauling them to death.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Different articles, different results. *shrugs*

The main thing on popularity of cat households (vs. non-cat ones, or dog only ones) I would link this to is mindset of the population base: India, China... they more often view cats as pests in the general population or jsut to be working animals and only want a purebred if they get a cat. Regular cats are things that live on the street. It's just the way people are raised in those countries. The majority of metropolitan areas I imagine are more likely to have cats instead of dogs, too...

For one, highly developed countries, for reasons yet unclear, tend to have more balanced cat and dog populations.
I don't know why this would be surprising. Developed countries have the money to own both along with better animal control re: spaying/neutering, resulting in the cats being seen less as street pests. This helps to change mindsets on cats and their role in society, so people in developed countries are more likely to have been raised to view both cats and dogs on equal standing (the great cat vs. dog people debate not withstanding).

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I like both dogs and cats. At this point in my life, cats are more my speed. They are a lot easier to manage and as mentioned above, more compact so I can have more! I could never have three St. Bernard's but I can have three cats and still have some room to foster a few more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts