Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone:D
How did you get your kittys? From breeder's, shelter's, adopting them because they are homeless, etc?
I found Catty when I was going for a walk then took her home. Mum and I put an ad in the local newspaper and nobody took her in. So that's how I got my Catty:p I have had her for nearly 8 years now and she is 12.

I saw Kitty in the local newspaper and I got him from a purebreed Siamese cat breeder as an 8 week old kitten.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I saw Eddie & Enzo on a facebook group as 'Free to good home' I know that often means 'dont care what happens as long as they are gone' so i took them because i know i will give them a good home and happy lives!
There was a girl on this facebook group who was taking all the animals that came up 'free to good home' and selling them on a different group.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Cassie was found on the side of the road near our house(read as middle of nowhere) with another kitten. The other kitten hid in a pipe and Cassie was the only one we could get to.

We got Cherry at our local cat shelter.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Blaze was from a lady that had caught some feral kittens behind a dumpster. We stil gave her 50 dollars I think even though he was free.

Blacky was a semi-feral that started hanging around the property bcause my father left scraps of food outside for the wildlife. Took over a year to tame her.

My first cat Lucky was found underneath a stage my father was tearing down , only a few weks old and all alone.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i got aster and cody from a local breeder. i am allergic to cats, there are times when i go into a house with cats, i start sneezing having trouble breathing from instantly to within a half hour. but really wanted to get kitties! i read about how siberians were a hypoallergenic breed and came to visit the breeder's home for an allergy test. hung out and chatted with her for an hour with about 5 of her girls in the room and did not sneeze or have any reaction once. i was so excited and put my name on a waitlist. fast forward 7 months later and we took 2 kittens home.

i would support getting a pet from a shelter if it weren't from my allergies. i know many people who just deal with their allergies and take medication and shots, but i didn't want to chance it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Sherbert came from a pregnant cat that was dumped near our home when we lived in the country. Paws and Squeek from the same mom, before she was able to be fixed and rehomed. (back then we had not found a local vet that delt with cats... yes it was a long time ago.) BlackJack and Pepper came from a Siamese female that escaped a BYB and Sherbert brought home...(we kept that Oops litter, rehomed the kittens and bought, spayed and rehomed the female just to get her out of the situation once we found out where she came from). Archie we got from a shelter. He was in a cage for 4 months and looked like he had given up. Now he follows my daughter around everywhere.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
We got our first kitten, a 8 week old brown mackeral tabby DSH girl from our neighbor who found 4 kittens in a paper bag in a ditch near her driveway. Unfortunately "Miss Moppet" was attacked by a neighbor's tomcat when she was 5 months old, and had to be put down because of her severe injuries. A few years later, a silvery-grey stubby tailed Russian Blue/Manx mix followed our kids home. Newspaper "found" ads and flyers didn't turn up any owners and we lived in a small town that didn't have an animal shelter, so "Max" stayed. He spurred my interest in Manx and lived to 17 yrs. A year after we fot Max I got into breeding reg'd Manx and did so for 18 yrs. My present two Devon Rex were purchased from a breeder. I'd admired Devons for a long time when I used to show my Manx. Just loved their pixie faces and soft wavey coats.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was a lovely story!:D So sorry about Miss Moppet and Max:( Glad you have your Devon Rex's:) They have very warm skin.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Tig (RIP) - saw teen boys siccing their dogs on a kitten. I went out & whaled on the kids & dogs with a broom. Once I was able to unstick Tig from the top of my head. Got him to the vet & stitched up.
Cat (RIP) - went to look at a litter of kittens. walked away with the spook on top of the cabinets. Yeah my 3 yr old named her.
Bentley - coworker was going to take him to the pound. Policy on adult cats was to give them 3 days due to overcrowding. And now he is our old man alpha
PuddyWow - Bottlebaby That I couldn't give up
Pixel - Sister stuffed him in my husbands arms the day we buried Tig. Where she found a 10 day old Maine Coon with Tigs markings she will not tell. But probably was Tigs greatgrandson
Methos- bottlebaby I fell in love with
Punkin - bottlebaby found 1st of Nov in a dryer vent. ow lives with our granddaughter
Tufty - came from a rescue

·
Registered
31 Posts
We got Sharky from my mom and Dad who were antiquing in upstate NY and found this little gray kitty cat who was crying on the road almost getting hit by a car and walked up to them begging for food. they fed him a can of cat food purchased at a local store and thought "okay that was a good deed " until sharky started to FOLLOW mom and dad down the street crying to be picked up ...they asked all the shop keepers in the area about thecat who said he'd been hanging around for like a month and was noone's kitty so my parents TOOK him home and said "he's the most amazing cat, do you want him? he's very good" and so out of the cold december winters of upstate NY came our little kitty cat who now lives the life of a King Lion!!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I got Azalia and Egypt from the ASPCA (not at the same time though).

Lacey, I got from a breeder. Although I was set to buy a purebred Balinese, she was sold to me as too small to be a queen. The breeder lied about her age and sold her to me for a couple of hundred dollars more than she was worth. By that time, I was committed to rescuing her from that life so I didn't care I'd be losing out in the deal. I had to pay for her to be flown in since I could not physically go and get her from Amish country in Pennsylvania.

Sasha, I got from a local woman who posted on Craig'slist that the kittens her female had just had were being kept outside in the hot sun. I had always wanted an all black kitty and he was so tiny and ridden with fleas, I knew I had to take him with me. There was no question about it!

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Meme I believe was dumped in the office park where I used to work, she was rescued by the girls in the office but for some unknown reason chose me to be her human.
Samantha was the gift I bought myself after Meme passed away, she was purebred Maine Coon and Papa's Princess until the day she died in my arms at 16 years old.
Little Chiquita was a stray that hung around our home in Carmichael, my ex feeling snubbed by Samantha tamed the little street urchin but left her behind when she left now she helps fill the void left by Samantha's passing.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I found Little Pumpkin on a Craigslist ad that said, "Spayed orange and white kitten needs a home" No pic was included but when I responded, I requested one and was sent her 6 wk. old kitten. The lady was pregnant and said she couldn't be around cats and I was looking for a kitty companion for my other cat so it worked out.

Oreo was found roaming around the busy streets of NYC, almost got hit by a car. My boyfriend saved her and fed her some cat food that he had in the car. She followed him home and wouldn't leave. He didn't want to abandon her so he called me up and said, "hey I just found a cute cat, do you want it?"....half hour later, she was mine. :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts