Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally mentally ready to do the feeder mice thing and I think it'll be a good way to get some bone into my kitties since two of the three won't eat whole bones yet. Here's my dilemma.....SHIPPING! It's +/- $40 everywhere I've checked! (I do plan to grab a few frozen mice from the pet store before I place an order to make sure they'll eat them.) It seems like I'd have to order bags and bags and bags of mice to make the shipping worth it! Is that what everyone does or is there some cost effective alternative?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found two sites that ship orders over $100 free to my area. If anybody knows of anything else worth checking out please let me know!

·
Registered
104 Posts
This might be totally ignorant of me not knowing anything about raw feeding, but I thought local pet stores had feeder mice and rats? Could you also breed them to save money if you got a few?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pet stores are wayyyy more expensive per mouse/rat than an online supply place. The catch is that I have to buy in bulk.

I kept pet rats for years (and still have two fosters!) so feeding rat is totally out of the question for me. I love those critters and my first rat in my adult life (I had one as a kid also) Lemmiwinks was my HEART :) Even mice, I could never kill one to feed to my cats. They're too darn sweet and adorable. I think I may be able to detach myself just enough if they're already dead and frozen. If I got them live they'd all end up as beloved pets LOL. I don't think I could do whole rabbit with the dogs, either. Same reason.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have had pet rats, mice and rabbits before. I have no issues feeding them. But thats just me. I will not cull them myself tho. I have to have them pre killed when they come to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts