Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few cats to de-worm, and I was wondering which all-wormer is best? There is
Drontal(most expensive)
Fido's Closasole Wormer(CHEAP!)
Panacur(not sure...)

Does anyone know how Fido's Closasole Wormer works? I want a wormer that WORKS, but cheap as well. Any tips would be wonderful... :D

Thanks
Abhay

·
Banned
33 Posts
My best advice is to make sure you're getting the right treatment for the right worms. I have made the worm-medicine mistake a couple of times so I'll share my experiences with you:

It's been my observation that roundworm medicine is the least expensive the most readily-available, very easy to administer, and not very harsh on the cats. But I think roundworms are the ones that have to be diagnosed by a vet, because they are not as visually-apparent to a layperson. None of my cats have ever had roundworms (that I know of, but I bought roundworm medicine once not realizing that it was actually tapeworms they had, and then wondered why this stuff didn't work).

But tapeworm medicine is considerably more expensive (like about ten times as much), not as easy to find, and much much harsher on the cat. In fact we nearly lost one of our cats once to an allergic/toxic reaction to tapeworm medicine. He pulled through (thank goodness) but that was an extremely scary night. Tapeworms are very visible to the casual observer.

I didn't recognize any of those brand names that you mentioned, but I have to say that in my experience, prices have been pretty consistent among the same-type of treatments, so if you're noticing vast differences in prices, I would have to wonder if they're for different types of worms.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts