Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current generic (Eureka) canister vacuum is no longer up to the task of cleaning my townhouse. It was fine before I had cats, but it doesn't do that well with cat hair on carpets/fabric. Cat hair clogs the filter, the vacuum overheats, then shuts down - I can barely make it through cleaning a single bedroom.

I started looking at Dyson vacuums, since they have a good reputation. There are so many different models in their lineup, that I'm not quite sure which one would be the best to get... as it stands, I'm partial towards the cordless models - I think the extra portability would make vacuuming less of a chore. I also want to be able to vacuum my bed sheets and other fabrics i.e. sofa, which a handheld would allow.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between the DC45 Animal, DC62 Animal, and DC72 Animal. I'm assuming the DC72 is the best one, but I really don't know if it's worth the extra cost, or if one of the less expensive models would be sufficient for my needs?

I live on my own in a relatively small space, so being able to clean my entire home with a cordless in single charge shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the DC59 motorhead, and I LOVE it! It's actually better for picking up hair than the animal is. And it's cordless which is a plus. It's really, really great. And I have 16 pets.

Edited to add: It's basically the same thing as the DC62 only it's newer and has better reviews.

·
Registered
183 Posts
We just bought the Dyson DC 39 Origin. Got it for 199.98 @Target about 1 month ago.
So far I can't complain about it. At least I am able to vacuum under the table or bed without moving furniture

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
I have a Hoover Elite canister and it SUCKS!! no, I mean REALLY, it sucks! It's the BEST vacuum I've ever had and it really does great on cat hair! I LOVE it!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Im in Australia and it sounds like the models are a bit different but something that I found interesting when talking to the sales rep at the store.. there were 3 options of DC54: original, allergy and animal. I was looking at the animal, but the rep told me that basically they are all identical, its just the head and attachments that differ. So I went with the allergy (came with a better head than the base model) as I didnt need all the other attachments, and saved $200.

Only used it once but I LOVE it!

Edit: Quickly searched your models. Mine is a barrel type. Would still be worth asking about the difference in mechanism etc though :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I gave in and bought a dyson animal..65? The new version. I had a credit and got it on sale so it wasn't that bad.

I have to say....so far :heart. Definately better than my hoover. I found it a lil hard to manuever. Love the canister. Easy breezy and filyters...just wash and air dry. I have shag carpets...so it has to have good suction...which seems to have. I'm happy

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I wish I could get a Dyson. I have never heard anyone complain about any of their Dysons. I actually do have a rechargable stick one, I'm not sure which model, but it stays charged for 15 minutes and cost about $250. It is good for small pick ups, but there is no way I could vacuum the whole house with it. I have an 8 year old Oreck, that still works great, better on bare floors though than carpet. I decided I couldn't afford the Dyson, so I spent $200 and got the Shark Rotator, and it actually works very well. I am surprisingly pleased with it, I really thought I would hate it. No, it's not the Dyson, which is hands down better, I have used my sister's and it is the bomb diggity, but the Shark does very well also. After a few months it was not picking up and I was so mad, I was going to take it back, when I found out that a sock had gotten sucked up it and was blocking one of the hoses. It's decent on bare floors too, it does not blow the dirt away like some vacuums do. I would say the Shark is a B- where the Dyson is an A+. I think you could definitely get away with one of the smaller Dysons, I am not sure of all the different model names, but I researched these vacs for months before buying my Shark and I had heard that the smaller ones were every bit as good. Some didn't like them because they had a shorter cord, and they felt like they had slump over because the vacuum itself is shorter, but that is the only complaints I consistently read.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for all the feedback so far :) it sounds like just about any of the Dyson models would work for me. I've also heard good things about some of the Shark models... and also discovered the rather heated Dyson vs. Miele debate online (which I'm going to ignore). The different model #'s between countries confuses things a bit; I just want one that works both as a short 'handheld' as well as the traditional long attachment for floors.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I got soooo confused when I was looking at all of the different models for the Dyson. I still don't know if I get it. I did come to find out that there is a smaller animal and a larger one, and the same for some of the other models. I found that almost misleading. I still think the Dyson's are great, and if money were not an issue, I would have one. But since I spend a small fortune on cat and dog food and cat litter, I got the cheaper Shark. One day though, I will have my Dyson!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have a DC37 turbine head animal and I love it. Best vacuum I ever owned. I used to buy cheap generic ones and they kept dying on me within a year or two or just didn't really have any suction anymore, this one was so worth the $$.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I love my Miele. I recently got a Bissell stick (cordless) vacuum and it's wonderful. Until it stopped holding a charge. I brought it back to Best Buy last night. They would only give me a credit, so I bought another one, one model higher (specifically for pets). Got it home and there was no power cord/adapter in the box, so I'm going back tonight. I really like it, I hope this one works. The 2-in-1 is great for in between hauling out the big vacuum, and the middle part is detachable for hard-to-reach places. Wow, I sound like a commercial!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a really old Dyson. It is the second model of the ball stand up made. It still does a great job. I have a 1600 square foot house that gets vacuumed weekly. The canister gets filled up with hair just from the living room and my bedroom. It also is a pro at picking up cat litter that Merlin has tracked out of the bathroom.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I got soooo confused when I was looking at all of the different models for the Dyson. I still don't know if I get it. I did come to find out that there is a smaller animal and a larger one, and the same for some of the other models. I found that almost misleading. I still think the Dyson's are great, and if money were not an issue, I would have one. But since I spend a small fortune on cat and dog food and cat litter, I got the cheaper Shark. One day though, I will have my Dyson!
I know what you mean! I think the 'animal' models are the same as the standard variety, with the only difference being the included attachments. As for the price, it's definitely hard to justify spending upwards of $500-600 for a vacuum - even when it's "within budget". At the end of the day, if it does what I expect it should do, it's worth the price in the long run. Although they rarely go on sale, I'm going to wait and see if I can get it for a little cheaper, even if it's just 10-15%.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
As for the price, it's definitely hard to justify spending upwards of $500-600 for a vacuum - even when it's "within budget". At the end of the day, if it does what I expect it should do, it's worth the price in the long run.
Those two statements kind of contradict each other. I paid a lot for my Miele and it's lasted me several years so far. It's awesome, especially on cat hair on furniture. I imagine it will last me another 5 years, at least. I have friends who buy a new vacuum (not cheap ones) every two years.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Going on 8 or 9 years with my Dyson Animal and I love it. HOnestly, I have no idea if any specific model. When I bought it I THOUGHT it was the only one labeled 'animal' so either I didn't know there was more than one or at the time I bought there was only one....

I just know the name fits...that thing is a BEAST. When my mom came to stay with me after the stroke it was a hoot watching her try to vacuum with it. She's a little 77 year old 4'8" woman. SHe couldn't push that thing for more than a few minutes. After the first week here, she ran out and bought a hand vac to spot clean until I was able to vacuum. That was one of my first tasks after the hospital... push the vacuum around. :p

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those two statements kind of contradict each other. I paid a lot for my Miele and it's lasted me several years so far. It's awesome, especially on cat hair on furniture. I imagine it will last me another 5 years, at least. I have friends who buy a new vacuum (not cheap ones) every two years.
Sorry if I was unclear... what I was trying to convey was that it can be difficult to pull the trigger and make that initial investment in a high cost product, even if in the long term, you're likely to recoup the cost.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Okay, that makes sense. The worst part about paying that much was being laid off three weeks later. Could have really used that money. It was bad timing, but still a great investment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts