Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use both "blended" and "blent"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
Another English teacher checking in! I wanted to tell you that Lola is right. But I checked, and it is acceptable. I have never seen it or heard it used in my life. If you use it, of course, most people will silently think you don't speak well; others will come right out and tell you. However, if you still want to use it, you will be correct. It wouldn't be worth it to me. :wink:

edit/typo

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Blinkin'_cat said:
As a rule, dictionaries not only list actual words, but also "words" that are accepted in casual conversation. This is why "ain't" made it into the dictionary. It's not an actual word, but is common in everyday language. This is probably why nonesense like "blent" is in the dictionary, as well.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
I guess it's no worse than people saying, "They hung the murderer." Back to pet peeves, the correct term is "They hanged the murdererl" "He hung up his coat" is acceptable. I doubt that a small dictionary would differentiate.

The word "gotten" is also incorrect, but is used more often than the proper past perfect, "got," and is, unfortunately, listed. The correct term is, "He had got the jeans for his birthday."

One of my professors said that we can blame the mother country for "gotten." One child, he said, told his teacher that the sentence on the blackboard was wrong. "You're correct, James," said the teacher."What is Ian's mistake?"

James proudly answered, "He's putten putten where he oughta putten put." I can't forget that. It's so droll that I think it's an excellent example for students--or adults! Easy to remember. :) Got is in the same family!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I voted for blended. My finance and his family all say "spolit" instead of "spoiled", it would really annoy the crap out of me. I finally looked it up one day and -t and -ed endings are both acceptable. I still think it sounds funny.
No offense though to anyone who says it that way! :)
--Annasaur

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Jeanie said:
The word "gotten" is also incorrect, but is used more often than the proper past perfect, "got," and is, unfortunately, listed. The correct term is, "He had got the jeans for his birthday."
I try to avoid the word "got" all together because so many people use it incorrectly (double negatives) that I can't stand the word! I always try to thing of a better word to use in it's place.

"We don't got none." ... grrr :evil:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I didn't think blent was a word either, but I use blended.

What about burst vs. bursted? Peeve.

My mom says warsh, not wash. *sigh* You can take the family out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the family.

·
Registered
998 Posts
mismodliz said:
Jeanie said:
I try to avoid the word "got" all together because so many people use it incorrectly (double negatives) that I can't stand the word! I always try to thing of a better word to use in it's place.

"We don't got none." ... grrr :evil:
So if I am correct in my assumption, you would not like the phrase: I ain't got no potatos so you ain't gonna get no fries today. :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts