Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Patricks brother Tony gave me the flu. I had suspected it was coming the past two days but just in this past hour it has really hit. I've got terrible chest congestion, my throat is sooo swollen and sore it feels like swallowing knives every time I swallow. And just in the past five minutes i've felt a sinus headache coming on. Joy. All this is made ten times worse by knowing Tony has been sick for a week and its still going with him. The weather is nasty, its cold and rainy, and has been the past few days. All I want is a hot cup of chicken noodle soup and some tea with honey in it. Neither of which I have. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Maybe you feel better in less than a week...if you can get that speical somebody to stay around a pamper you! Chicken Noodle soup sounds yummy ...and so does tea and honey.
Hope you will feel better soon

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took some Nyquil and now all i've really got is a very sore throat and terrible chest congestion. Which is better than that + runny nose, sinus headache, and fever like I had earlier. So i'm counting my blessings such as they are and feeling hopeful that I won't get it too bad.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Something that really helps me get through the flu is DayQuil. It always helps with body aches in addition to the runny nose/headache/fever/coughing symptoms. I find that once those body aches are gone, being sick is a lot easier to bear.

If you have someone to run errands for you, Celestial Seasonings has an excellent line of tea, one with echinacea in it that I like to have when I am sick. :)

*Sends a cup of hot tea with honey and echinacea your way*

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Where is the boy? He should be waiting on you hand and foot, with soup and tea with honey in hand! 8O Hope you feel better soon, I'm sick too. There is an outbreak of whooping cough in my county -- I just pray I'm not getting that.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
You're allowed to whine! You need that soup and hot tea with lemon--on a tray in bed. And the tray should have a flower in a vase. My mother and father made me drink a hot toddy when I had a bad cold as a child. I was so upset because I had just learned how bad alcohol is for you, and I kept coaxing them not to give it to me. They gave it to me anyway. I woke up about an hour later and called my mom. Well, that's what they told me, anyway! They said I kept saying," I'm drunk; I'm drunk." :(

The reason for the story is that a hot toddy might help you rest. It's a bit of whiskey in a cup of hot water and some sugar. There is a wonderful liqour that's great for sore throat. It's called Rockin' Rye. It's very sweet. Anyway you take only a teaspoonful at a time. It really takes away the pain-immediately. I must sound like a drinker, but I'm not. I'm just trying to think of a way to make you feel better!
Get well soon!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I took Nyquil and slept from 3pm to 9pm yesterday, and then from 2am to noon today. My chest congestion is still bad, sinus headache is gone, and yes Patrick is waiting on me hand and foot, even though I told him he didn't need to since I can still get around ok. I'm beginning to think maybe I don't have the flu afterall, maybe its just a chest cold w/ a fever.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Let him take care of you even if you think you don't need it. It's good for you to rest. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am so sorry to hear you have been sick! I hope you will be feeling better very soon! I hate being sick! I have had a nasty sinus infection for several days now, at least I think that is what it is....scratchy throat, horrible headache, and my nose is constantly full. UGGGG!!! But worst of all is my 2 year old daughter is sick too...but she has some kind of flu bug....she threw up twice tonight and the poor little thing, I felt so bad for her, she doesn't of course understand it, and when she would throw up she would get so upset because she knew she made a mess on the floor and was afraid I would be upset with her. She stood there in the midst of it and cried and I kept saying...it's okay honey, it's not your fault, it's okay. If you have any spare prayers to send up, send one up for her...she needs it. I will send one up for you!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She's definately worse off than me! Poor baby, give her a hug for me (i'd do it but I doubt you want my germs adding to hers hehe) I feel much better today, just a clogged up nose and still some chest congestion and a sore throat, but I think i'm getting over it. As long as i'm not throwing up its all fine in my book. We made a trip to the store last night and grabbed some vics vaporub (that was fun :twisted: ) and some more nyquil. I've been taking a lot of hot baths for the steam to help clear up the congestion. I just can't do a lot of physical activity or I end up gasping for air. I hope your daughter feels better soon!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't worry Jeanie, if there's one health topic i'm intimately familiar with it's bronchitis. My entire childhood I had whats known as "Chronic Bronchitis" At first it was feared I had cycstic fibrosis even, my tests for that kept coming up borderline, but finally it was decided that I don't have it. I'm one of those lucky few people born with many different conditions that usually don't prove fatal, such as chronic bronchitis, childhood epilepsy, severe asthma, and re-occurring sore throats that more often than not have white spots show up on the back of my throat. I consider myself to be lucky actually, it could have been much worse.

I did spend most of my childhood in hospitals and at doctors appointments, my mother even took me to duke university medical center to see if they could help me with any of my conditions, i've had stress tests, allergy shots, allergy tests (the kind where they stick you with 80 different needles all containing different common allergents) been on tons of different medications, inhalers, etc. I used to have twice yearly cat scans. They hooked me up to moniters while I slept so the alarm would ring if I had a seisure (Sam always alerted them before the machine went off though) I've had gallstones (they removed my gallbladder) I've had kidney infections so bad they thought I was going to die, i've had corneal ulcers, in fifth grade I even had stomach ulcers. To top it all off I have depression issues (mildly bi-polar)

Trust me when I say I KNOW when its time to seek medical attention.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
Payge, I understand. I have been getting bronchitis or pneumonitis about twice a year for many years. However, a few years ago, I had a near fatal case of pneumonia. I refused to go to the hospital because I didn't feel sick; I was just having a problem breathing and wanted to sleep a lot.

Finally, I went. I was so sick I lost several days-of which I have no memory, and spent the whole month of December, including Christmas Day, in the hospital. I should have gone when the family started pestering about it! I didn't even have a cold! It took me a couple months at home before I was strong enough to walk again. Anyway, better get an antibiotic.... I know; I'm a nag. :(

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Payge please go -- your past history is an even better reason. Eeek, its hard for me to imagine being so unhealthy throughout childhood -- good luck kicking this bug. Do you eat and sleep well usually?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm mostly all better, just a bit of a stuffy nose at this point. No I didnt go to the doctors, told ya i'd be fine :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts