Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! Just a quick wondering....
is it normal to find your cat's whiskers on the floor sometimes?? I found two of Andie's whiskers on the floor this week alone! And they are long, like actually one entire long whisker. Very interesting to feel and all, but it just seems that I find them somewhat often. Meanwhile, I have had dogs all my life as well and never found their whiskers anywhere. Andie though, has VERY VERY long, stiff whiskers. SO CUTE. Anyways... just wondering if this is common!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I always assumed that this was normal, but I never asked anyone before. But Kitty's whiskers fall out periodically, but she never looks like their missing, so I kind of assumed it was like the nails I find around the house (her back nails), just a natural phenomenon.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I used to find my last cat's whiskers once in a while, but she was indoor/outdoor, so I'm sure I only found a few of them. Skeeter is an indoor only kitten who we've had for about 2 months and I've already found one of his little whiskers. So, I wouldn't worry about it unless is seems that your baby's losing a lot of them during a short period of time. It's completely natural. I actually collect them and keep them in a baggie. I know...how strange. I don't know why I do it...but I've done it since I was a kid. :oops:

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I found this at the pet peoples place:
It is not too unusual for cats to lose a few whiskers now and again, especially in times when they are rundown or in , but prolonged or frequent loss of whiskers can be an early indication of general ill health. Watch out for other symptoms such as discharge from the eyes, ears or anus, hair-loss, brittle nails or bad breath. If she continues to lose whiskers or has any other of the symptoms listed please consider taking your cat to the vet for a full examination.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts