Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my kitty has always had ridiculously long whiskers, and I recently noticed that they are short as all heck! This bothers me, I swear they are all too close to the exact same length to have just broken off in some kitty action. They look cut, but I don't know why anyone would do that, or even who would do it. Will they grow back out? I've always been told that they don't, and I'd just like confirmation. I miss her long whiskers, they were so dang cute.. :(

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Fraido,
Is this Nugget? Yes, her whiskers will grow back, it might take a while, but they do come back!!
It does sound like someone trimmed them...strange...
Does she go outside? Would a family member be capable of this? :what:

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
One more possibility...do you have a wood stove or fireplace?
If she got to close, her whiskers could have been singed off...do the ends look sort of melted at the very tips?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is indeed Nugget!
View attachment 77458
(Don't mind the fact that it looks like I'm strangling her, lol.)
Those used to be sooo long! She doesn't go outside, unless I take her out for a few minutes, so nothing would have done that to her whiskers when I'm out there with her. We also don't have any sort of fireplace thing, not where she has access. I was trying to think of who in the house could have done it, but the only one she's around is my dad and I don't see why he would do it!? GAH! Her poor whiskers!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ImageUploadedByPG Free1418304661.907937.jpg
I'm not sure if that worked in the other post, it didn't for me, so I'm going to try and post it once more.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
a) She is gorgeous. Even with short whiskers. :)

b) That IS weird. They are really, really short! Have you spoken to your dad?

I've heard that the ends of cats' whiskers are sensitive. I don't know if that's true, but I hope not.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Is she your only cat or do you have others around? I've had cat's, especially momacats that would chew off the whiskers of some of her kittens. Some cats will do that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't asked my dad about it yet, though I don't really think he did it. It would just be super pointless, like, why would someone chop off a cat's whiskers. So weird.

We do have two other cars, but they aren't close, and I can't see her letting them get near her face, let alone chew on her whiskers.
Hm. Who knows what happened to them.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Cats use their wiskers to tell if they can fit in a space...whiskers tell them if something is too close...like if they were going in hole or between a space.

I would talk to your dad. A cat needs their whiskers

·
Registered
383 Posts
Any updates on her whiskers? I was thinking, is there a possibility that they got singed (if you have a fireplace or wood stove, etc)?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not yet, I'm not home.
She doesn't have access to our fireplace. I was thinking she may have broken them off during the many times I she got out of her sweater.. I don't think that would be the case, but who knows.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
You need to speak to your dad. Cats use their whiskers as sensors - they can even judge width by them. They should never be trimmed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I asked him about it, and he didn't cut them, so she must have broken them off somehow. How strange.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
I found this on another site: "Mother cats can chew them off, stress can lead to them breaking off and finally, some cats have a pre disposition to brittle whiskers such as the Rex's."

Most likely another cat chewed them off in play, but it could be stress or even malnutrition. :catmilk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't believe it was stress or malnutrition that caused them to break off, or even any of the other cats chewing them off. They're not friends, lol. But she can get a little crazy sometimes, bolting around, and trying to fly up walls, lol. So I'll say it's play for now, rough solo play, unless I see something else that could have caused it.
It's just so strange that so many of them broke off like that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts