Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run out of lap room and both shoulders are soggy. It has been the attack of the smerglers this morning. Who else has adult cats who want to knead, purr and mock nurse? Partly this is my fault since I've never bothered to actively discourage this behaviour after weaning off bottles when they were babies. Most cats will do the knead and stomp when happy & wanting loved on but several of our guys add nursing behaviour on a mouthful of shirt or even try to grab a strand of hair. And when one starts I will end up with a lapful.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Enjoy! Abby (18 mths) kneads me whenever she's in my lap, although she doesn't nurse and never has. Muffs (21 mths) used to knead and nurse a fuzzy blanket when she was a kitten, although not when the blanket was on my lap. Nowadays, she doesn't do either, although she's more affectionate in other ways.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Athena and Grady are constant kneaders when they're in their snugler moods. Athena has an obsession with a certain bathrobe and whenever worn shes up in my lap kneading like a maniac. She also likes to give little love nibbles...on my eyebrow. I have learned to keep her away from my face when she starts kneading. I don't mind when she does it to my arm because she insists on my arm being near her or my hand touching her in some way so sometimes she'll nibble. Grady kneads wherever when he is in a slugging mood. When he wants to be cuddled he will be cuddled no matter what. If I'm on my laptop he climbs on top of it, right on my keyboard. He isn't a small cat by any means so once he's up, he's up and there is no getting him off unless I put the laptop down because he's persistent. He purrs very loudly, always the first sign he wants to cuddle with you, and then he flops, his famous flop. He also likes to do what I call headbutting. He's got a big hard head and he likes to rub on you but he does it with a lot of force and if aimed in the right place or position it is quite painful! But I love my kitties so I put up with them =D Checkers unfortunately is not a snuggler at all. She nearly despises being in your lap. She's content on the arm of the couch next to you but if you try to cuddle or snuggle, she runs.

·
Registered
219 Posts
//waves// I have a smergler. He takes me pushing him away as nothing but a minor inconvenience, as he stomps back to carry on where he left off. He likes crevices most of all - the crook of my arm, and more disturbingly, my armpit - which he dives for when I go to bed. I have to make sure I pull the covers right up to my chin, and make sure there's no way of him getting under the covers. I'd close the bedroom door and keep him out, but he opens the door. Short of pushing the wardrobe up against it.... Every stroke turns into an attempted smergle... he also was a bottle feed baby - although he did nurse as well, from two mothers. He was a fraction of his litter mates' size, and they didn't think he'd make it. Well he did, and then some! Still acts like a baby though :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Artemisia doesn't try to nurse but she ocassionally will knead like a maniac.

From what I can tell, it's really the texture of the material that triggers this reaction. I have one blanket that's somewhat shaggy and fur-like, and this is BY FAR the one she kneads on the most. She rarely does it when sitting on a very flat-textured blanket.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Mine doesn't try to nurse...thank goodness...but he does knead and rest his face against me and drool. Drool A LOT.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Both of mine knead and nurse. The knead soft things or whatever is nearby when they are happy, but they only nurse on one particular item....the toilet rug!! It's sometimes a bit difficult to use the restroom because the cats want to be right under your feet nursing on the wrap-around rug. They're also very loud during this process, and my guests never quite know what to make of it...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Haha! Arnie will knead all day long, he comes in and jumps straight on my lap. As with others its a fabric sort of thing, my dressing gown espcially, i had to get him his own as at bed time he always gets a bit randy and i didnt like that on mine!! So he has his own dressing gown that he affectionately loves! lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
dEUS and Mimosa like to knead on us on occasion, but Ernesto is the only one who really tries to nurse on my clothes.
Even though it is cute I also find it a little pathetic for a big male cat of almost seven years old who is otherwise the king of the house. I met a cat behaviourist who compared it to the Little Britain "Bitty" sketches (they are on youtube).
Ernersto doesn't like it when others watch him acting like a kitten with his "mommy", he will stop immediately when he thinks another cat or my husband watches him.

When he was much younger he would sometimes "nurse" with my husband too.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Franklin is an unrepentant kneader. Twice a day, every day, he will spend 10-20 minutes in my lap, kneading my left bicep. 75% of the time he drools, excessively, while kneading. I have a supply of "can never where outside of apartment" t-shirts that I wear. The left sleeve is stained beyond hope :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mimosa, How did you end up with a Pixel clone? Pixel has the same markings but is a bit smaller & quite a bit older than your guy. He really is tiny for a Maine Coon (he is a mix). And yes he is one of the smerglers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts