Cat Forum banner

Who is in charge? Kitten or Adult? And, is this play?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  AddFran 
#1 ·
I'll try to keep this to a minimum. We have a 4 year old female (fixed) and a 9 1/2 week old female kitten. We've had the kitten (Addison) for almost 3 weeks now.

The first week they were completely separated, kitten was in our bedroom. Week two the kitten was let out and able to scout around on her own accord. Didn't take her long, she's pretty fearless. At 8 weeks old she was running the place. Franny (4year old) was not really phased by the kitten, she'd just watch her and walk over alot and smell her, but didn't seem bothered overall. She'd hiss, but mainly because the kitten walks right up in her face or pounces on her in play and she wasn't too happy with that idea.

This past week, they've been left alone and I assume they are not doing too bad because neither of them are hurt and they both great me at the door when I get home from work. However, the past two days have been different. Franny is now hissing and growling AND swatting when the kitten comes up to her. Addison is so fearless, Franny will hiss and Addison just keeps trying to play with her paying no mind to the loud noises coming from the big cat in front of her.

Somehow this evolves into chasing matches. Once they reach one end of the house, they switch positions and chase each other back to the other side. So, first Franny might be chasing Addison, but on the way back Addison is chasing Franny and this goes on for 10-15 minutes at a time. Then they stop and go different ways.

Why would Franny suddenly act so mad...or is she somehow playing even though she's hissing and growling....and why would she run from a tiny, tiny kitten? And do you think that Addison is playing, or is she really a tough girl who isn't taking any garbage from bigger Kitty? Honestly, from the moment we set he down on the floor when we brought her home, she's owned the place. I'm telling you, this kitten has NO fear.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmm.. not sure about cats but funny story anyway

I had a rabit a smaller lop eared girl. We also had a dog a miniture shnauzer. Not a tiny breed but on the small side. When we first got the rabbit we already had our dog. They were sepperated by a fence in the yard supervised for a while. Then we lifted the fence and they sniffed and such. 2 weeks later I came outside to my dog chasing my rabbit through our small yard up and down through the plants and such. I moved to stop them when they reached our wall. Both did an about face and the bunny chased the dog. They ran back and forth switching chaser eeach time they came to a wall. Although the older cat may feel like the young one is trying to usurp its power I would try putting up a large fence that you can buy at petco or elsewhere and have them stare through it at each other for while. Either that or just stay close to them and observe if they seem really mad.

#5 ·
Update*

Franny is hissing a lot less and is still growling and waving her tail around, but as this behavior progresses it seems more and more like play. They now chase each other around and around and underneath the coffee table up onto the couch and back down to the floor several times a day. No one has been hurt and it's funny to watch, so I think they are going to be alright together as time goes on.

I'll try to get some photos of this and post them.

#7 ·
We do have bouts of swatting in between the chasing too. The kitten doesn't seem too phased by it though. I figure that they'll sort it out in time. I think the older one just wants to let it be known that she is the boss in this house. I truly think that once they figure out what the "pecking order" is, they'll be great friends.

If they aren't having serious fights it usually works itself out. I hear you though, I'd love so much for them to love each other like they do in Tierney's house...: )

#8 ·
Another update:

Last night Franny and Addison engaged in full on wrestling matches, head-locks, you name it. The rolled around all wrapped up in one another and pounced on each other from the top of the coffee table or leaping off the couch. There were not hissing/growling sounds at all and the only time I heard anything is when Franny went a little overboard and accidentally put all her weight on Addison. Addy let out a little cry and Franny quickly jumped up...then they went at it again.

I think we're witnessing a blossoming friendship! I'm so excited! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.