Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat Benny had tapeworms before (a couple of months ago, at least), but by the time I figured it out, they seemed to be gone. The last time he had it, the segments came out rarely.

I pay pretty good attention to him, and I'm always on the lookout to make sure that the worms really did go away. And it seems like today's the day they came back, and rather vigorously. He didn't just have one or two segments come out of his rear, but a whole CLUMP of them, like maybe six or seven. They didn't come out one after another either, but all clumped up together. Maybe five minutes later he had a bowel movement and it was literally covered with tapeworm segments.

I think it goes without saying that I'm fairly disturbed by this. o_O It seems like it came on very very suddenly. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
thats probably all the tape worm gone to be honest... once it has been expelled from the body usually thats the last of it... many medications cause this - has he been on any?

·
Registered
98 Posts
This may be off but I think you would no cause your cat had it How and why do cats get tapeworms? I have never had a cat that had them and I never want one! Sorry about your cat I hope hes ok!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
rachel5689 said:
This may be off but I think you would no cause your cat had it How and why do cats get tapeworms? I have never had a cat that had them and I never want one! Sorry about your cat I hope hes ok!!
Cats get tapeworms by eatting a flea - at least that's what my vet told me. Fleas have them or something - the cats eat the fleas while grooming themselves - then they get them. Little eggs come out of their rear... all the time. It looks like little seeds or rice - the only way I knew is because they were on my bed. My fiance thought they were crumbs at first. It is pretty creepy. *shiver* :(

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
I found this article about tape worms. It's true that they are carried by fleas.

Tapeworms
Holly Frisby, DVM, MS
Veterinary Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Tapeworms are flat worms that are segmented. They consist of a head, neck, and then a number of segments. The head usually has suckers or muscular grooves that enable the tapeworm to attach itself to the animal's intestine.
Each tapeworm segment has its own reproductive organs. New segments are continually formed in the neck region of the worm while those at the end of the tapeworm are cast off as they mature. These mature segments contain large numbers of eggs which are often grouped into packets. The segments may often be seen near the anus of the cat or dog. These segments may move if recently passed, or if dried, they look like grains of uncooked rice or cucumber seeds. Tapeworm infections are usually diagnosed by finding these segments on the animal.

Tapeworms of cats and dogs all have life cycles that include an intermediate host. These hosts include fleas, fish, and domestic animals.....

·
Registered
560 Posts
AddFran said:
They sound sooo icky!
Oh... it is! Can you imagine them being on your bed and you NEVER knowing they were until you called the vet? I always swept them off before laying down (thank God) - but I did that not knowing what they were. Creepy... I touched them too... gross gross! I can hardly stand the fact that Hali had them inside of him!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually I've read that humans CAN get infected from their pets but only if an infected flea is consumed. Apparantly when the tapeworm segments dry they hatch and the little tapeworm buggies eat like.. dead skin cells and stuff until they get eaten by a flea and begin to mature inside of the flea. So then when something consumes the flea like a cat or a human or something, infection is possible. But usually the tapeworm doesn't survive the human digestive system.

Anyway I guess it's important to make sure that fleas are kept under control to keep reinfection from happening.

My cat's an indoor cat and he has NO fleas, so I don't know how he got reinfected. But still I'm curious about why he purged all of those tapeworm segments suddenly. He actually never took medication for it, since everything I've read has suggested that the tapeworms are generally harmless, and my cat seemed to stop expelling them. The mass exodus of tapeworm segments today suprised me though! Two months and he showed no signs in his poop, in the bedding, or on his rear. Then suddenly, bam! Tapeworms.

Plus, he hasn't shed another one since. Weird.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Just because you aren't seeing the segments doesn't mean the worms are gone; in fact, they're definitely *not* gone. They will live inside the cat's gut, happily growing and maturing, going through a phase of shedding segments, then growing some more -- unless and until you get your cat the correct medication that will kill them. What you *don't* see can still be seriously harming your cat...So please get proper treatment!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts