Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m considering trying MrTash on a whole prey item but wondered which would be best to start with, pinkies or full grown mice?

I’m assuming that pinkies would be better to start with owing to their lack of fur and smaller size?
On the other hand I have seen him eating an adult mouse in the garden, but only the head end and leaving the rear half, so they won’t be unfamiliar to him (just not moving this time!)
But pinkies may be more palatable (at least to us!) without fur to begin with. So I can't decide.

I suppose the obvious answer is to try both, but does anyone have knowledge, recommendations or experience of trying this?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Id try mice if you've seen him eat them before. Baby animals are higher in fat, so they are 'tastier' but not as healthy. If he'll do adult mice go straight there...you may need to chop it in half the first few times though. Sorry.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...you may need to chop it in half the first few times though....
That would make it very convenient for him seeing as he'd probably only be eating the head end. :grin:
Unless you're suggesting they're cut lengthways? (Only kidding!) Ha ha.

I'll try him on an adult mouse then and see what happens. I hope he doesn't expect me to drag it around on a stick like 'Da Mouse' :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Offer half each meal, to see if he'll eat the tail end when it's offered alone. You could also 'bread' it in some parmesan cheese, tuna flakes, ect to get him going.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Offer half each meal, to see if he'll eat the tail end when it's offered alone.
Of course! Why didn't I think of that. Doh!

He's not too keen on parmesan or tuna flakes, but goes crazy over pre-cooked defrosted prawns so I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are you going to order the mice already dead or have them be fresh?

If you go buy some live pinkies from the store, you can put them in the fridge and they will peacefully fall asleep and die. Then you know you will be giving your cat the freshest meat. That's what we did when I was interning at the zoo.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
That is not true.

The pinkies in that case will die of cold - not a nice way to go.

Mice purchased frozen from a store are euthanized a variety of ways; drowning, freezing, and carbon dioxide are the most common with CO2 being the most humane.

Frozen mice are just as healthy as thawed ones as long as they arent freezer burnt. You can usually get them vacupacked too, for extra freshness.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Often the frozen animals we received had blood coming out of their mouths or eyes. Doesn't mean they are unhealthy... but kind of suspicious.

The person in charge of the mice colony has been doing it 25+ years and she cares deeply about humanely putting them to sleep. Additionally shes a highly credentialed biologist. The pinkies are so small that when the cold hits them they fall asleep, like if you were out in the snow, and then they die in their sleep. Its very quick since they have no fur or anything to protect them.

Not that anyone should feel like they have to put animals to sleep if they don't feel comfortable! Just an option if you have a pet supplies store that sells live feed animals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts