243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Auntie Crazy,

Thank you for replying.
I have checked Hare Today too, but the shipping to CA is very expensive.

I bought skinned whole rabbit from a local place, but I am getting really tired slicing out the meat.
So I figured I can buy whole mini/small rabbit, so the bones are small, and they can eat it whole.
Do you think it will work?

Since I am looking for 1 day quail, chicks etc, do you think the bone ratio will be higher in these young animals?
Will it make sense to give them a few meat only meals each week?

·
Banned
952 Posts
The bone percentage range is fairly flexible at 5% to 10%, so I would add a meal here, add a meal there and then add on a few more, all the while watching the litter box carefully. Your cats will tell you when they've got enough bone.

Myself, I tend to stay a little more on the conservative side. I know the level at which my cats aren't getting enough bone (their poo goes soft), so I feed at a slighter higher percentage than that.

Let your cats be the guide! They're all different, anyway, so what works for my bunch may be a bit too much, or too little, for yours. :)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Here in Holland we contact the local chicken farm and they sell us male 1-day old chicks for 2 cents each. I wonder if that's possible in North America?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally have a solution.
A local pet shop just opened near my office. Their store pet is a snake, so they will also sell mice and rats (frozen).

So I can actually buy a few to try first. I hope this will work.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
I finally have a solution.
A local pet shop just opened near my office. Their store pet is a snake, so they will also sell mice and rats (frozen).

So I can actually buy a few to try first. I hope this will work.
This is usually the best plan to start out with. Once the cats have convinced you that they DO know how to eat real food, LOL, you can order in bulk.

I order from here mostly: American Rodent Supply

I love Hare Today and order other stuff from them, but they are pricey for mice. American Rodent or Rodent Pro are where your local store probably buys theirs from.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Does it get messy feeding rats/mice? How do you guys feed it to your cats? I can't imagine my cat Memo not running all over the house with the mouse and getting it everywhere. And doesn't it stink?

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Does it get messy feeding rats/mice? How do you guys feed it to your cats? I can't imagine my cat Memo not running all over the house with the mouse and getting it everywhere. And doesn't it stink?
Actually, it's less messy than most other types of food. They key is to confine the cat. My cats eat separately -- one in the bathroom and the other in the storeroom. They clean up quite nicely.

Raw meat has almost no smell. After having had to feed some canned cat food while my wonderful Lincoln was sick--specifically because it IS so smelly so sick cats may be more willing to give it a try--I was reminded yet again why I HATE canned cat food! ICK!! Raw meat is almost smell-free and mice, since they are in their little fur packages, smell even less.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought about buying a cage and let them eat inside, so trap them in the shower stall.

But before I get to the point that I am buying them whole prey, I can't decide... haha

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am weird. I am probably going to open up the package and stare at the rat's face and cry :( Why do the heads have to be attached? I am so squeamish.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Well, I'm vegan and have had pet rats and mice in the past, and yes, it is VERY hard for me. I handle it by doing as little as possible with them (the good news is that once they are eating whole prey well all you have to do is toss it down--no prep as w/ regular old meat). I open the bag when they are frozen and, using tongs and looking as little as possible, I tong them out into baggies of 4 each. Then I toss the baggies in the freezer. I thaw one baggie at a time and dump one mouse at a time out into bowls. I never touch them and I barely have to look.

It helps that I am nearly blind close up w/ out my readers. I just don't put the glasses on and then it's all a blur. ;)

·
Banned
952 Posts
I am weird. I am probably going to open up the package and stare at the rat's face and cry :( Why do the heads have to be attached? I am so squeamish.
When I read this, I laughed and shuddered at the same (a very weird feeling).

This is why I can't/don't feed whole prey; just can't pull myself past the cutting up little meecer bodies phase. *shakes head at self*

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just ordered mice and chicks from Layne Labs (Snake Food, Reptile Food, Feed Carnivores, Birds of Prey). They're in CA so it was the cheapest shipping for me and very reasonably priced with a lot to offer.

I've had mice and rats as pets and am vegetarian as well, so feeding raw was a little hard for me at first. But feeding whole prey is a lot easier than I thought. It requires minimal handling, practically no clean up, and if you start slowly, you won't need to cut into any little fuzzy bodies at all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is something I may eventually want to try, but I am also a vegetarian and rodent keeper/lover :( I don't know if I could mentally separate those little guys from my late beloved Lemmiwinks, Wolfie, Peanut, Lily Munster, Poe, Luna, Critter, Lenore, Presley, Thelma, Louise, and Pip. Rodents, especially ratties, are the bees knees. Although, I did have to thaw a frozen rat to feed an abandoned Burmese python at the shelter once.... That was rough, but everybody else refused to do it and we knew she had gone at least the two weeks she was left in a cat carrier without food (Yes, a 6.5ft snake in a CAT CARRIER) and who knows how long before that... I think I'll give myself ample time to get used to feeding meat in the first place. How do you introduce whole prey slowly without having to cut it open?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How to start whole prey..... good question.... I don't even know.
They have an interactive toy with a mouse like end. They absolutely love it, well, when I run across the house and throw it up on my bed, and bring it up to the cat condo... They run like rockets.

If they don't take the whole prey the first time, I absolutely certainly do not like the idea of dragging the prey around. That is why I haven't started.

And I heard people say if the cats do not take it right away, cut open the brain and that should attract the cats.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts