Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here feed whole prey? Any cats on a whole prey diet, or get whole prey occasionally? What are the best resources and sources for frozen small prey?

My cats are currently on a commercial raw (ground) diet, and one gets hearts, gizzards, small meaty bones and small pieces of beef in the evenings as a "snack" (the other will soon too, but she's new and just moving onto raw so I'm keeping her on the ground stuff only) in addition to the ground stuff.

I've been wanting to transition them onto frankenprey once I move out and have more freezer space, but every time I begin researching I just get a headache with all the conflicting information and the complexity of figuring out the proper ratios of muscle meat, bones, organs, etc. I'm scared of doing this myself and messing it up. Plus, it seems like a lot of work.

So I've been thinking, maybe I should just move on to whole prey instead. I know there have to be plenty of sources of small rodents and birds (chicks, quail) to feed snakes and whatnot. But how many people actually do it for their cats?

PS.: I'm not talking about live prey. I wouldn't want my cat to torture another animal, but rather purchase dead, frozen prey that was killed humanely.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I feed almost exclusively whole prey--mostly mice and chicks--with occasional dressed quail, venison, beef, heart, etc. thrown in.

I get mind here: American Rodent Supply . If you live in the blue zone (which you do), shipping is free on $100 or more!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I feed whole raw rabbits (minus the guts) which I hunt. She also catches small rabbits and rodents herself and eats them whole. Sometimes I feed chicken and duck carcasses after I've removed the breast and legs for myself. The only possible down side is worms, but I've read that freezing for 3 weeks kills parasites. Now I just have to persuade her to put her catches in the freezer 1st...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the resources. I've decided to order from American Rodent once I have the freezer space for all that prey!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If you are outside the USA, it might be worth approaching pet shops with a biggish market in snakes and local butchers (for hearts, etc.).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I moved out and the new house has a bigger freezer, so I put in my order.
I expected Liz to be all over the dead prey, because she loves her meat and organ chunks way more than her ground raw food. But she wanted nothing to do with the dead mice and chicks I ordered.

I'm currently resorting to rubbing fancy feast all over the prey to get her interested. So far, it's working rather well. She's eaten 2 chicks and a few small mice today. Let's see if tomorrow she'll eat a rat.

Why isn't whole prey more common? It seems a lot simpler than frankenprey, and just as convenient yet less expensive than commercial ground if ordered from snake suppliers online. Am I missing something? Are there down sides I don't know about?

Are there supplements I should be adding to the food? Is this food going to be enough? How much do you guys generally feed per pound of cat?

·
Registered
36 Posts
What size of rodent I should start my cats off on? I have one cat that will be very easy to transition over to raw but I have another that will be a challenge I am sure. Also, I know someone that hunts prairie dogs for the local cattle farmers, can these be fed to my cats? I assume freezing them some time first to get rid of parasites ect. and removing the bullet and then what? I just throw them on a plate and bonne appetite or what? I wish you could feed fish because I have access to a lot of fresh fish. The ick factor is going to be a killer for me too. Sorry for the hijack Arkona, I hope you don't mind.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you hoofmaiden for the reply. I did buy a couple of pinkies from a pet store and my male cat ate them up right up once they were cut in half, my picky female wasn't interested so I will have to spend more time on her. She has eaten frozen ground before so there is hope. I was getting ready to put in a bulk order from a rodent supply source (that you found for me actually in a previous thread, thank you again) and noticed the larger the mouse/rat, the cheaper it was per ounce so that was the reason for my question. I don't want to buy any more from the pet store because I have a moral issue from buying anything from a store that sells animals for pets. I think I will start with the pinkies this order and move up from there.
I am 99% sure there is no lead in the bullets but I will verify before I try that. This guy shoots ground hogs too. I assume that they will have to cut up some before hand since they are larger. The guy was happy to keep them for me because he said it would alleviate some of his guilt if the animal was used to feed another. The prairie dogs and ground hogs will be introduced after they are firmly eating the mice/rats alright without any issue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've tried cutting them, but it doesn't do anything to draw her interest. My husband claims he's been able to get her to eat a chick without any fancy feast bribing, but not the rats or mice.

She does seem to like the chicks better. I still have to bribe her, but it takes less persistance on my part. With the rats and mice she comes in, licks the fancy feast off then walks away... I have to keep calling her back and then usually by the 3rd time she'll finally start biting into the prey. This morning nothing worked and she refused to eat her rat altogether. I had to run off to work so I had to clean up the mess and just give her canned food instead. I'm going to have to start feeding her earlier so I have enough time to convince her to eat before I have to run off to work.

@goombella, you can keep threadjacking. This thread doesn't have to be just about my cat, it should be about whole prey and transitioning to whole prey in general.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a quick question about whole prey, hope you don't mind me asking on your post.

I have a kitten who eats EVERYTHING raw so figured now would be the best time to put him on whole prey. In my area though, the most you can find is quail, mice, and guinea pig (but I thought they might not be any nutritionally different than mice. I might be able to find bunny and baby chickens too but not sure.

My main question is, is feeding only 2-3 different types of whole prey animals good enough as the whole diet? I currently feed prey model raw to both the kitten and my dog and everyone always says VARIETY, VARIETY, and more VARIETY is the key.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a good question, and one I'd like answered as well. Here I can only get what I can order from American Rodent and that's chicks, mice, and rats. I'm still feeding her ground raw as well, so she can get other types of meat that way, but it would be nice to know what's truly considered variety in case I decide to go full whole prey in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts