Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we're putting together the dollhouse we got for my daughter and I discovered that I failed to order the bathroom furniture set. Also, I wanted to get the doghouse for the puppy and it was out of stock last time I checked.

I went back to Fisher-Price.com and discovered the bathroom set is now out of stock, too - figures since it's a few weeks before Christmas. The doghouse was still out of stock as were many other furniture sets. Their dollhouse must be a hot item this year!

Anyway, so I searched other places online to see if I could get this bathroom set anywhere else. Toys R Us is out of stock as are a few other retail stores I checked. I did find it on one website, a place I've never heard of before, selling for more than twice the price of the set as sold on Fisher-Price.com! They had the doghouse, too, for a much heftier price than F-P.

I don't understand how business like that can stay in business. There's no way I'm shelling out that much money. The kids' birthdays are in February so I'll just keep my eye out as to when these pieces are in stock again and order them for Emma's birthday.

Grrrr! The way companies take advantage of people makes me mad. :evil: OK, rant's over. Time to go to bed.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Jo, you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't shop around. They either go to their favorite store and buy the product or go on-line and buy from the first place that has what they want. It drives me NUTS! They want convenience and speed over bargains. That's who keeps overpriced places in business. Me? I keep Craigslist going..... :D

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
To see this in action, go to a price checker site (like Kelkoo) and put in a few random things. You'd be amazed at the variation on prices.

I wanted to get my dad a travel speaker set for his iPod, and I found a decent looking one (according to an independent tech site), and the difference in price was form £20 to 50! Oh and that doesn't include ebay obviously.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
The differences in prices is even true with pharmacys. My vet tells me the name and dosage of the med we need and lets me call around. For one of the last meds I got for Buzz the price range was between the one I purchased at $49.00 and $74.00.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
OwnedByACat said:
It is crazy! I always shop around to find a lower price. Some people have the crazy notion that more expensive is better!
Sad and strange, but true.
I like your new siggy, by the way. :)

·
Banned
439 Posts
try ebaY to find what you may be missing from others.

keep in mind companies ordered very conservatively
for Xmas due to the economic downturn, so many
items will be out of stock long before Xmas hits.
so they are not ripping anyone off, they simple
don't want to be stuck with unsold inventory.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
It wasn't the out of stock thing that she was complaining about though. It was the insane prices that some places seem to charge.

·
Banned
439 Posts
OIC - well, that's the reality of supply & demand.
welcome back to the fine world of capitalism :roll:

just save the other items as a future gift
when they become more affordable.
I'm sure the kid won't know the difference
unless you point it out to them.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
Last year I ordered a small racetrack for $19.95. It was an excellent price for what appeared to be a quality toy. About a week later, Amazon told me it was no longer available at that price, but was now $95.----give or take. I believe they sold the one I ordered, and then found a company who sold them for much more. I was really upset, and I certainly let them know about it. It was available when I ordered it, but under a different order number and price days later. I don't like dealing with Amazon, needless to say. :eek:

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
wow... I've never had a problem (often they have great deals), but that's some price hike...

The only problem I've had like that was with a computer part. I'd ordered a new power supply from ebuyer, and the list price was something like 35 pounds so I ordered it, and they wacked it up to 50 the next day. I immediately cancelled the order, and emailed them telling them why. A quick hunt around found that novatech had a BETTER one for just 30 quid :D So I emailed ebuyer about that as well :D

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
petspy said:
try ebaY to find what you may be missing from others.

...so they are not ripping anyone off, they simple
don't want to be stuck with unsold inventory.
I actually did see a few on eBay but I'm not taking my chances with those items arriving in time for Christmas. Plus, I've had a couple bad experiences on eBay sellers before and am very leery of using it now.

Huge said:
It wasn't the out of stock thing that she was complaining about though. It was the insane prices that some places seem to charge.
Actually, it was a little of both. I was bummed to find out that the more reputable places were out of stock (stores you can trust that have reasonable prices) and at the same time I was shocked to find the one place whose pricing was extreme.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts