Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my mom were talking and I said how people on here say wet food is better. Our cats have always done great on hard food. I know with dogs wet food is bad for them(at-least not the greatest) so why is it good for cats?? My cats also get raw if we have chicken or something and I was told that is bad for them. Again our cats have always done good with occasionally getting Raw. I want to get a kitten soon and want, what is best for her(it will be her not a he) so am curious as to why the canned is better.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
It's not that dry food is bad, and in fact, vets used to recommend it because it was better at preventing dental issues (gingivitis).

However, dry foods have a lot of carbs, which is not part of a cat's natural diet. In the wild, they're not eating rice, grains, etc. So canned food (depending on the variety and the ingredients) is closer to what a cat's diet would be if it were out on its own.

The carbs also allow indoor cats to gain weight more easily, and more quickly.

I used to feed dry in the morning, wet in the evening, but one of my older kitties suddenly has completely different tastes and they get wet all day. She's also chubby, and is often constipated, so the fact that she eats all wet food actually works out well.

All that said, there are many people who feed exclusively dry, and their kitties are perfectly fine. :)

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
ps: I've heard mixed things about raw food diets, but the negative things I've heard have to do with a totally raw food diet. Personally, I don't see how raw food now and then could be bad for them - it's not like they're cooking birds for dinner...

I'm not an expert though. There is a separate forum dedicated to raw food, I believe, so that could be helpful to you.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The biggest bonus with canned food (for me) is the moisture content. Cats aren't really driven to drink enough water. I've had cats in the past that were fed on all kibble or wet just as a treat, and kidney problems kept coming up. When we adopted Io, I chose to go to an all wet diet because my sister's geriatric cat is really unhealthy, and I feel virtually all his problems came from a diet of kibble - he had to get expensive surgury because of kidney crystals twice, once at ~8 years and once more at ~12 years. After the second they pulled most of his teeth (so a nail in the coffin for the "better for teeth" argument) and he went to all-wet. No more crystals (he's I think around 18 now), but still obese, and now diabetic.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for answering my questions! So if I do half canned/half kibble it won't be okay or it will?? Albert is really picky with food so I have to be careful about changing it to quickly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I switched my kibble addict over gradually to high protein, grain free canned. No choice as she had bladder stones and vomiting from years of kibble. Most store bought kibble is full of corn, wheat and rice (including Iams and Science Diet).

I experimented with different brands, she likes the soft pate types the best. She only gets a tiny amount of kibble as a treat and even then it's grain free and high protein (Natures Variety chicken or EVO cat/kitten).

If half and half is the best you can do it's certainly better than just kibble. I always thought my cat drank plenty of water but obviously it wasn't enough.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay,thanks! canned food is kind of pricey but if I do half and half it should work! I am just curious for when I get a kitten if I will be able to afford it. I will do all the math and stuff later, to make sure I can. Im sure I can just want to make sure, before I make the decision to bring in another kitten.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Canned food is a lot cheaper than vet bills later on (as I found out the hard way). There are "good" canned foods out there that are not super expensive (especially if you buy by the case online).

Chicken soup for the cat lover soul, or By Nature are good, relatively inexpensive canned foods. Wellness and EVO are available in economical large cans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Canned food is a lot cheaper than vet bills later on (as I found out the hard way). There are "good" canned foods out there that are not super expensive (especially if you buy by the case online).

Chicken soup for the cat lover soul, or By Nature are good, relatively inexpensive canned foods. Wellness and EVO are available in economical large cans.
I have tried to get my cat to like Wellness CORE and EVO canned foods. Melfice will eat them once or twice and stop after that. He has been very picky about eating the last two weeks.

All of the food Melfice used to like, he has stopped eating them. Also, I want Melfice on a high protein low carb canned foods but I don't know what to do. I read online about adding tuna water from a can, so he can get used to the taste of the food.

What's weird is, Melfice eats new food for like a day, and then stops. I took him to the vet, and everything checked out ok. I'm going to try some Raw Frozen Formulas and Freeze-Dried Formulas tomorrow. I did get a sample of Freeze-Dried and Melfice LOVED it. So I'm hoping for the best here.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Like the other said, the main two reasons are wet food is lower in carbs (kibble requires a decent amount of carbs in order to be processed into hard puffed up bits) which is better for carnivore's bodies and is much higher in moisture, which is great for our desert animals who don't drink enough!

Wet food is great for dogs too, mostly for the low carbohydrate reason, dogs usually drink enough. The reason you don't see it recommended like you do for cats is because it seems dogs don't tend to be as negatively affected as often as cats (probably because dogs are more omnivore like than cats are) and because canned food is expensive, feeding a 50 pound dog all canned food would be super expensive.

Half canned half kibble would be much better than all kibble, do whatever you can afford.

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Ditto what the others said. There is also an entire sticky dedicted to the topic of "why canned is better." It's located at the top of this forum. :)

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
It can get expensive if your kitty is finicky. I can't tell you how many cans of food I've donated to the adoption clinic at my local PetSmart, and how many others went into the garbage disposal. You might want to just stick with the first thing that kitty likes. Otherwise you end up with...

I have tried to get my cat to like Wellness CORE and EVO canned foods. Melfice will eat them once or twice and stop after that. He has been very picky about eating the last two weeks.

All of the food Melfice used to like, he has stopped eating them. Also, I want Melfice on a high protein low carb canned foods but I don't know what to do. I read online about adding tuna water from a can, so he can get used to the taste of the food.

What's weird is, Melfice eats new food for like a day, and then stops. I took him to the vet, and everything checked out ok. I'm going to try some Raw Frozen Formulas and Freeze-Dried Formulas tomorrow. I did get a sample of Freeze-Dried and Melfice LOVED it. So I'm hoping for the best here.
My cat too!! How old is Melfice?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It can get expensive if your kitty is finicky. I can't tell you how many cans of food I've donated to the adoption clinic at my local PetSmart, and how many others went into the garbage disposal. You might want to just stick with the first thing that kitty likes. Otherwise you end up with...

My cat too!! How old is Melfice?
Melfice is 3 years old now, and I think I hint a gold mine! Well for tonight at least haha. He loved the nature's variety instinct rabbit canned food. I just bought Melfice a can tonight, and he ate every bit of it. Now I'm not getting too happy just yet. Because I have seen this many times before haha

Where he loves a flavor and after a few days won't touch it. We will see how it goes later in the week. Yeah, I'm going to stick with what Melfice does like, and add some raw food into the mix as well. Maybe between the two, he will have very good meals indeed

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
Charlee is sometimes picky. She doesn't care for Wellness Core or Cowboy Cookout sometimes. So I sprinkle about 10 kibbles on top of it and she's fine. Once she starts eating, she'll usually finish.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If I find a food that Sienna doesn't seem as fond of (I feed all canned), then I mix it in with one I know she loves. That way it doesn't go to waste. If it is a food that she REALLY doesn't seem to care much for, then I make sure I use it in a smaller proportion than her favorites so it goes more or less unnoticed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I find a food that Sienna doesn't seem as fond of (I feed all canned), then I mix it in with one I know she loves. That way it doesn't go to waste. If it is a food that she REALLY doesn't seem to care much for, then I make sure I use it in a smaller proportion than her favorites so it goes more or less unnoticed.
That's a good idea and I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Charlee is sometimes picky. She doesn't care for Wellness Core or Cowboy Cookout sometimes. So I sprinkle about 10 kibbles on top of it and she's fine. Once she starts eating, she'll usually finish.
I have done this many of times in the past, but Melfice is picky with dry food at the moment too. But he sure loves getting into my puppy's food (if Rusty leaves some behind...which is rare).

I'm going to try Acana: Wild Prairie Cat & Kitten for my cat. Melfice loves the smell of my puppy's Acana food, so maybe he will like the cat verison as well. And it's high protein and low carbs, but it will be only a small amounts used tho. I don't want my cat on dry foods at all. But if it helps making him eat his wet foods. It will be ok by me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts