Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was napping tody and when my husband came home he told me there was something I had to see. Right outside of our bedroom door (which I had shut) was a pile of feathers....all that is left of my sweet little budgie Mowgli who I have had for 5 years. He somewhow got out of the cage and Malcolm got to him.....there is no blood or anything, just a part of his wing and little feathers.He got out on his own because the cage has not been disturbed at all.

I am so sad.

It is not Malcolm's fault because he just did what comes naturally to cats.

Mowgli was my favourite out of the four budgies., he was also the first bird I got.

RIP Mowgli

Mowgli with my husband

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I am so sorry about Mowgli - Rest in Peace pretty baby
It is true it is not Malcolm's fault. I am sorry about your loss : (

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
That's so sad. Of course, any cat would have done the same thing. But I feel so bad for you. I used to keep parakeets too. I had one escape around a bath that attached to the cage. How they do it is hard to understand, but it's very upsetting to us.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel just awful for Serendipity who is Mowgli's partner. I have two bonded pairs of budgies Loki and Tarique, and Mowgli and Serendipity.

And now I have to think about what would be best to do for Serendipty....whether to get her another male or not. They all live in the same cage and really get along....I am just worried that she might get lonely.

My in laws have an aviary and currently have budgies so maybe later I can get another male from them.

But first things first, i am going to buy this type of cage that is mostly plexiglass with vents on the sides and the top that i feel will be more secure....I don't know how he got out, we have had the cage for quite a bit now.

I can't quit crying. Even my hubby was bawling.

Malcolm came to see me as I was laying in bed crying. I told him that eating my poor bird has thrown his diet off

oh....I feel evil for that little joke :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your bird! My Jerry did the same thing to my hamster and my betta fish. It is very upseting, and it is so hard not to be upset with the cat. I remeber feeling the exact mixed emotions as you are feeling now.
:(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Real sorry to hear about that :(

I have a canary and just today I heard a noise and Taby had climbed and had his paw on the cage! The canary isn't usually in that place, that's why Taby could get to him this time. But I really worry that something like that might happen. I just try keeping him high up and put clips in the cage doors so Taby can't open 'em. The canary doesn't seem too scared of him when he sees him though.

Where do you keep your cages? Perhaps you should get another parakeet. Not as a replacement, but sometimes it helps cope with the loss. Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to get another parakeet........Serendipity might get depressed, and that is almost as sad as the loss of your parakeet :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the kind words everyone :cry:

So far Serendipity seems to be doing really well, she spends her time getting loved and preened by the other pair of budgies.

For the first two days after Mowgli was gone all three of them were making the really loud mad chirping noise that they usually only make when they are out of their cage and are separated because they have flown to different parts of the room.

I must add that this was before I got my cat!!

They used to be able to come out of their cage and fly around supervised. But then I got them a really big cage and they never wanted to come out anymore.

Since we got Malcolm I let them fly around by putting the cage in the bedroom and shutting the door. 90% of the time they stay in though.

After eating Mowgli Malcolm seems to have discovered the birds and spent a lot of time staring at the cage so now my babies are safe in a really high place and he is back to ignoring them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts