Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This interests me greatly, as we are all such strong cat lovers, but have different 'tastes'.
So why did you choose your chosen cat breed?

For me, a Ragdoll was ideal as I wanted a large, sweet, placid cat that was receptive to training (as much as a cat can be!)

The research paid off as Grim is all that and more, and I've sucessfully trained him his name, to sit, to down, to come, and to speak on command.

I'm devoted to the breed and see many more in the future, but if the right Coonie came along...

Look forward to responses! :p

·
Registered
533 Posts
It wasn't a breed thing for me. My first kitty (died, almost 18yr) was the only one in his little cage that kept reaching out to me and talking to me at the shelter that day. I didn't have a color preference or anything. It was his personality. He was a handsome tuxedo by the way.

All these years later, I have 2 black & whites, 2 Siamese mix, 1 Russian Blue and a yellow/cream color cat.

They're all gifts and they're all beautiful to me. Your ragdoll must be gorgeous. I'd love to have one someday.

·
Registered
627 Posts
well my 1st cat was a gift to my wife when she had to retire from work. His name was Riley and he was a medium hair domestic and the sweetest cat in the world, he passed away in 2005 at age 11. My 2nd cat is Miss Chloe and she is a tortie and is a small package of dynamite, she picked me out at the shelter and rode on my shoulder the whole way home, she is almost 14 now and still going strong. Willie is my 3rd cat and he looks to have some Russian Blue in him. My wife adopted him from the local humane society for me to help me cope with losing Riley. He is a big boy, last vet visit he was right at 14 lbs and can be a big pain in the butt. My last cat is Buddy, I saw him on the humane society's web page and fell in love with him. He is a siamese mix and is sweet as can be but not very smart.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I like to own cats that are previously unwanted. :D
Whoever shows up knocking lets say. LOL !

If I were super famous and rich and could own a cat
luxury apartment....Siamese are my ultimate favorites.
I have even had a few in the past.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
barrycheadle said:
So why did you choose your chosen cat breed?!
Ha! Who gets to choose? :lol:
All of ours came (come) to us in imminent danger of death and needing love and care. It drives me to distraction to hear my Mother commenting: "Now Heidi, when one passes away, don't go replacing them!". Replacing?! We don't go out and actively LOOK for kitties, we just don't turn any in need away.

IF I had a choice? I'd like a tortie/meezer cross. I don't have either a calico or a meezer colored cat...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i did not choose the breed of my cat. The cat that i breed is just normal cats that you can see in Malaysia. Well, i train my cats with their names and play hide and seek with her. Her name is Mei Mei. She just passed away 2 months ago because she had lost for about a month and we found her body at the middle of the road. :cry: However, i just pray she had her peace in heaven. :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I chose my ragdoll/persian mix because I wanted a large, snuggly cat that would want to spend time with me. He is everything that I have ever hoped for, and more. He's just great.

My second cat is a domestic shorthair tabby. I wasn't planning on getting another cat (if i was i would have gotten another ragdoll or ragdoll mix) but she was in need of a home and she was very sweet so I couldn't deny Tito from having a friend. :p

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
We actually wanted a black and white female with orange eyes. My son brought his kitten over to show us and we fell in love with her. I was looking on Petfinder for a b+w one and saw one with orange eyes. We inquired on her, she was already adopted. We were going for a 4 hour trip to get her. Well, I kept looking on Petfinder and whamo, Mango's picture was there. He was so beautiful, orange tabby with orange eyes. We fell in love. We didnt care at this point if he was b+w. Hubby was concerned it was a male, he wanted a female, but I convinced him males were more affectionate. I read his profile and he was a Hurricane Katrina rescue and I cried my eyes out for the poor thing. I called that day and he was still available. I talked to his foster mom and then I had to go through background checks. They did call my friends. Foster mommy and I are friends now and she said she wanted dirt on me because she really wanted to keep him.(she had 11 others!) No dirt here! I had to wait 3 weeks to get him and drove 2 hours to pick him up at the shelter. He is the love of our life!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I have had black cats since I was a child. The last one had the voice, the conformation, and the intelligence of a Siamese, but she was completely black. She was such a little character, and very lovng. When she died, I got two Siamese cats. I have never regretted it. They are amazingly loving, intelligent, and obedient.

However, I stilll have a longing for a black cat. I think they are beautiful. I couldn't have loved them more. :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I didn't choose this breed, it was handed to me. My dad's colleague has just had a litter and sold all but one kitten, then his child was born VERY premature and he could not handle a kitten at that time so was going to bring him to the shelter. Dad said we'd take him even though none of us liked cats much dad knew I would not ignore an animal brought into the house. Then two years later we needed another :D I don't think I will ever be without a Siamese.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I always seem drawn to domestic short hairs but I really really want a Maine Coon. They are so big and mellow and smart

·
Registered
695 Posts
I didn't choose a breed of cat, it was the other way around with Reyna. :D

But if I had my choice of any cat breed I'd love to have a Pixie Bob.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
If I choose a breed, it would be Siamese. I LOVE Siamese cats.

But actually right now my favourite breed is called 'Toby'.

·
Registered
478 Posts
We attract black cats,LOL-what does that say about us?! Really,IMO we may think 'so and so kind of cat would be cool' but fate or god or who ever sends us the cat who needs us or maybe we do, at least this has been my experience.... :D That said, Though- not a breed but i really would like a big chunky orange and white cat one day :)

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
The short version of the story is that we were former cat owners that got overwhelmed by cat fever last spring after seeing a photo of a famously cute grey cat who happened to be a British Shorthair.

We had a wonderful senior kitty fourteen years ago, a Russian Blue-type named Nikki. She died of kidney failure before our son's first birthday. She was a shelter kitty that belonged to Hubby before we were married, very sweet and an obsessive lap cat. After she died, we realized that we must have had allergies, since we were breathing and sleeping better, and our baby had fewer ear infections, etc.

Fast forward to last Spring. Jamie was clearly turning into an ornery teen, I could see how little time was left before he headed off to college. The 'empty nest' began to percolate in my subconscious, simultaneously while I was getting hooked on an on-line daily 'newspaper' in our hometown that started a feature "Dog of the Week", and then "Cat of the Week" for locals to post photos and little blurbs about their pets...

Then one day last Spring someone jokingly posted the Happy Cat NEDM as the Cat of the Week - that grey British Shorthair kitty of Can-I-Has-A-Cheezburger fame.. Within a day I had a full-blown case of cat fever and proceeded to railroad the family into getting another grey girl kitty - "this time a kitten, please - one with a little snubby nose and plushy fur and little round paws just like this cat - I MUST HAVE ONE!" Well, I got my way after we waited for months on several waiting lists of breeders miles away in Los Angeles ...The irony, of course, is when we finally tagged up with one of the breeders - two ladies who brought Brits to our local cat show last fall, Gary was the one who first spotted the little grey girl kitten they had who purred nonstop and he fell in love with her instantly and said she was the one...

Her temperament is not lap cat - she only gets in your lap when she's in the mood, but she is always right there when anyone is doing anything, very family oriented, devoted to playing games she invents or playing with us, doesn't hold grudges about nail trimming or baths to keep dander down etc., not a climber or scratcher at all and is so cute (we think) - a 'living teddy bear', that we can't imagine ever being without one of her breed again...

Fran

·
Registered
878 Posts
Mostly I get picked by cats, and I wouldn't have it any other way. So fae, I'd say they are excellent pickers, as I've never been picked by a cat that I didn't absolutely love. I've had lap cats, snooty cats, brainiac cats, not-so-clever-cats, please-dont-touch-me-cats, hey-why-arent-you-petting-me-cats, leapers, lovers, stalkers, hide-in-the-laundry-cats, beauty queens, lop-eared: loved them all. They pick me, and I'm cool with that.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If I could choose a breed, I would've chosen a Birman... all the Birmans I've met have just been so sweet! But I realise that doesn't mean all Birmans are. :)

Milly is a domestic medium hair from a shelter though, and I haven't regretted getting her for one minute. :p She just has a personality that's a perfect match for us; and she's fluffy, which is a plus for me. :D

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have never been able to choose which scruffy stray or rescue arrives at my door :lol:

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Maggie was chosen because she looked exactly like my first cat, Onyx.

Kobi chose me as I walked by his cage when I was working a Humane Society adoption day. He was an impulse adoption, I had no plans what so ever to get another cat that day.

Holly was very specifically chosen for the easy going Maine Coon personality and size because Kobi turned out to be a real jerk and I needed a cat that wouldn't have any issue taking him on. She has him wrapped around her paw and he has totally mellowed.

Bridge kitties:

Callie chose me by showing up at my door and being so darn cute I had to take her in.

Onyx was from a litter that a co-worker's cat had, I never met her or saw a picture...just said I'd take her.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
My cats chose me, I didn't choose them. Maybe you should ask them why in the heck they chose me .... I wouldn't have. :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts