Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone elses cat do this? When my cat is chillin' with me and he gets all happy and comfortable he'll start kneading me. Like he'll alternate using his paws to almost grab onto my skin. Thank goodness my cat is declawed because this would hurt if he wasn't. Its kind of cute, but I wonder why it is that he does this?

He often does this at night, when he goes under the covers and sleeps by my belly. It sometimes wakes me up because he starts pawing at my tummy and sometimes it tickles.

·
Registered
882 Posts
That is how kittens stimulate milk flow from their mothers: they alternate pressing with their paws into mom's tummy.

So if your kitty is doing this to you, he/she is probably remembering what it was like to be a kitten, and is viewing you not unlike his/her own mother.

It's definitely a sign of affection! Kiera doesn't ever kneed anywhere except when I pet her in her kitty bed. I wouldn't mind if she kneeded me, but you can't change a cat!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sometimes I wish the cats wouldn't do that! At work I have a few kitties who will make themselves comfortable on my lap when I sit down, which I LOVE. All of a sudden there's claws digging into my knee. Ow! Of course I don't say anything, just make a face and squirm a bit. Heh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
violina23 said:
That is how kittens stimulate milk flow from their mothers: they alternate pressing with their paws into mom's tummy.

So if your kitty is doing this to you, he/she is probably remembering what it was like to be a kitten, and is viewing you not unlike his/her own mother.
It's definitely a sign of affection! Kiera doesn't ever kneed anywhere except when I pet her in her kitty bed. I wouldn't mind if she kneeded me, but you can't change a cat!
My cat thinks I'm his mommy. What a goofball. Its kinda cute though... :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
violina23 said:

both my cats are 2 and still knead. personally i love it, i think it's the cutest thing. is that normal for them at their age?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Assumpta is 7 and she'll knead for hours if she can, but only on me (my lap is for kneading, my husband's is for lounging). Sometimes she gets so blissed/tranced out that she'll start drooling and literally start falling asleep while she kneads. We call it "Extreme Kittening." :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gudewife said:
Assumpta is 7 and she'll knead for hours if she can, but only on me (my lap is for kneading, my husband's is for lounging). Sometimes she gets so blissed/tranced out that she'll start drooling and literally start falling asleep while she kneads. We call it "Extreme Kittening." :lol:
That's great!! Glad to see a cat older than mine still does it...I don't want them to stop. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2 cats are almost 7 and they still knead me, whenever I am pating Toulouse he kneads me, Shirona is less likely to knead than Toulouse, but she still kneads every so often.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I love it when the cats knead me, because I know that I represent the greatest comfort they ever had, cozying in to their mother and being nourished! Every cat I have had since childhood has kneaded. We call it "making bread," for obvious reasons! :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Jeanie said:
I love it when the cats knead me, because I know that I represent the greatest comfort they ever had, cozying in to their mother and being nourished! Every cat I have had since childhood has kneaded. We call it "making bread," for obvious reasons! :)
Funny, we call it "making muffins." I love it...Assumpta decided early on that I was the "Momma Kitty," and always comes to me for cuddling when she's sick or upset. She's a pretty special cat, in my completely impartial and unbiased opinion... :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
\lol dylan does this while trying to suck my finger, the big baby... I don't mind the kneading but the whole finger sucking thing I am trying to discourage because he gets quite demanding and will try and pull my fingers near his mouth all the time...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
My Zoee is 9 and she still kneads. Usually on top of the covers or on my lap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts