Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a cat who constantly pee's where he's not supposed to when he is angry. It seems that he wants to go outside and when I don't let him he shows me he is angry by peeing on something (the kitchen counter, my bed, my bed with me in it) It is extremely frustrating, and occasionally has me contemplating getting rid of him. It sucks, he is super sweet and I've had him for over 10 years. What do I have to do to keep him from doing this aside from allowing him to run about outside? (I worry about the traffic where I live, and he unfortunately isn't the smartest animal around)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Cats don't think the way people do. He is not peeing out of spite or anger. he is trying to tell you that something is wrong. Start by taking him to the vet for a full work-up including blood and urine testing.
Once he's cleared health-wise, start with the basics. How many litter boxes do you have and where are they located. Are they cleaned regularly. Have you recently changed litters or tried a new litter? What are you using to clean up the areas where he pees? Any other cats inside or outside of the house? Is he neutered?

Just some starting points.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I have read that when cats do this there might be something else going on, especially with male cats. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Male Cats

Is he your only cat? When I had 2 male cats they peed everywhere! If they liked a house guest, they would pee in their shoes. Male cats pee for dominance and territory reasons.

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
No, normally they don't act like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is my only cat. He's ~10, and has been neutered since about 2months old. I have 1 cat box which is always cleaned every day in the garage, pretty centrally located as far as the house is and he spends about a third of his time in there anyways. When he pees, I clean with whatever works for whatever he peed on. Usually fantastick or some other cleaner for hard surfaces. He's always been an indoor cat, and only went outside on rare occasion until last June. He had been going outside regularly since until a couple weeks ago.
He never peed in the house, ever. Once he was about 6 years old he peed (on me, in bed, in my sleep) about a month and a half after I moved into a new house. I ended up moving again and would randomly (maybe once a year, sometimes more) pee on me in my bed. Not pleasant I assure you. Once I stopped letting him outside again (probably 3-4 weeks ago) because I live on a busy street and worry about him. He tends to run in front of cars, poor idiot. Anyways, about 2 weeks ago he started peeing in the house and has been doing it just about everyday for the last 7 days. Day before yesterday he peed on the front door screen right in front of me. I think he's mad about not going outside...,

·
Registered
90 Posts
It could be a number of things:
1) UTI
2) Type of liter
3) Liter box placed in an area where he is uncomfortable using it.
4) Not enough liter boxes (you should have 1 for each at for each level of the house).
5) The box is too dirty for his likes.
If you have ruled out an UTI, try moving the box to somewhere out of the way where he can get to it that is quiet. Also, try to see if you can get some "Cat Attract" liter. It has a smell that is almost irresistable to cats. It attracts them to the box.

Good luck and please don't give up on your kitty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts