Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do people continue feeding the highly commercial brands that are almost all corn, even after they've learned better and have also calculated that the difference in price with raw meat, cooked meat (or Orijen, for example, which is as easy to feed as any other dry food), will not affect their budget? Since I'm autistic, what is obvious to everyone is a mystery to me, that's why I'm asking... I'm getting tired of people changing the subject or smiling to their armpits when I say I don't feed my cats corn...

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts
People do the best they can, with what they have. They probably don't like being judged for not feeding raw any more than you do by people who think feeding raw is wrong.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, as I said I'm talking about those who did learn better and agree with it, not those who are doing the best they can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I TRY to help my clients understand what cheap foods lead to....HUGELY expensive vet bills THEN a lifetime of expensive prescription vet diets. It mostly falls on deaf ears

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think it's possible to agree with the premise and still not be able to do a different diet based on circumstances--for example, I know what kinds of foods I shouldn't eat, but sometimes budget or availability makes it impossible to choose the things I know I SHOULD eat--I tend to get fairly defensive when someone (usually my mother!) points out that I'm not taking care of myself properly, because I KNOW I should be doing things differently, and don't always manage to. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Next time someone says that they know it's bad and feed it anyway, ask them why. You can ask in a conversational "teach me" kind of way that won't offend I think.

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts
I knew for a long time that Fancy Feast wasn't good, but I couldn't switch at the time. I also know Bailey's isn't just for breakfast anymore, but ......

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
It depends on a lot of things, mainly priorities... not all owners place their pets at the top of their list, especially when they aren't able to reasonably afford it in their budget. Cat food to a lot of people is on the lower end of things to be concerned over. Usually people think "all cats I've ever owned have eaten this and lived long lives."... and that's the case a lot of the time, cats can and do live long lives on the "junk" food, a good diet is only one factor in an overall life expectancy. People don't often justify spending the extra time/money when they don't need to - better food being healthier for their cat overall isn't enough.

It's somewhat similar to how many people are educated on human nutrition but do not follow the daily guidelines, if people can't do it for themselves, there is a much slimmer chance they're going to do it for their pets. People on this forum are often different - we are on a cat forum! - but the general public isn't going to switch over easily.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Some people do because they just don't have an idea what they doing. I see once a lady caring RC in her shopping car. I tried to educate her but she wasn't too nice to me and she said that "her cats love it". I said to her "you probably love fast food, but it doesn't mean it is good for you".

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I saw a mother the other day at the grocery store with two young boys. Her cart was FULL of expensive, named brand stuff, so she wasn't hurting for money. Her cart didn't have one fresh vegetable, fresh fruit, lean proteins or whole grains. She had cereal, chips, pop tarts, frozen pizzas and soda. She knew better, she just didn't care. This is the same situation you are in now.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've talked to several people who not only totally agree with the premise, but also say they can easily afford the small difference in $$ and that they know the non-corn food is easily available to them. Yet, they don't switch. When I ask why, they change the subject or suddenly look at their watch and need to run. Maybe they're afraid of choosing their own views over the views of "the majority" and thus risking rejection or worse, isolation.

I can't afford to feed the strays non-corn every day, but once a week I give them a raw meat dinner and I try to make it as raw balanced diet as I can afford. Lately I started noticing white patches on the fur of some of them. Upon closer inspection, I was amazed to find it was: SHINE. Their fur is now soft and when I feed at night, it reflects white under the street lamps. Passers-by have commented that the strays look too beautiful to be strays. I explain to them that it only took a tiny stretch in my budget.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
They might just be agreeing because they don't care and don't want to have a conversation about it. I don't want to be rude here because I DO care about the nutrition about my animal, but most people really just don't care but they are nice and won't tell you that.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I meant with the second paragraph is that you don't need to believe blindly, the effects of a healthier diet (be it raw, cooked, dry or whatever, even just some meat once a week) are totally visible after a few months.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think so. They wouldn't call me desperately for advice on what to feed their cats if they didn't care, as it happened last night.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Then they want to hear that what they are doing is right. I have had family members ask me 10 plus times what to feed and they never change from the Friskies dry they think is healthy.

·
Banned
602 Posts
It seems like there is a lot of judgement here about why people feed what they do. Some do care but cant afford anything else. Most people who have animals want the best for them. Telling them that they are not feeding their cats what they should be is no ones business unless asked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.