Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only fed strays till now, so I had to stick to dry food due to ordinances, but now that I have a house cat I see that chicken and organs together don't cost more than kibble. Why do some people feed kibble instead of meat if the price is more or less the same, and meat is so much healthier and more enjoyable for cats? What are the advantages of kibble? Should I feed both?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Kibble is NOT good for cats. It is strictly a convenience food for us...sorta like feeding your kids chicken nuggets rather than feeding real chicken. Bottom line, it's easier and cheaper. Having said that, there are people who are squeamish about handling meat. When you feed either whole prey or franken-prey, you need to cut up the animals into smaller portions for the cats. You have to get your hands dirty in a manner of speaking. Some people are perfectly comfortable with only seeing and handling meat which does not look like what it actually is, what you see in the supermarket.

Other than that, the only other considerations I would say have any merit to them are cases in which the cats never take to raw. You can't force them to eat or do anything they really don't want to do. And, some owners don't have the time or resources to do so. If you live in a community with limited suppliers, it may be very challenging to acquire the variety they need for the diet to be balanced.

If I have left anything out, I am sure the others will chime in soon ;)

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I think that raw would be ideal if you research their nutritional needs and give them all they require.

I'm still trying to work up the courage to taking MowMow off high quality canned and moving him to raw(his numerous allergies still freak me out).

·
Registered
106 Posts
I only fed strays till now, so I had to stick to dry food due to ordinances, but now that I have a house cat I see that chicken and organs together don't cost more than kibble. Why do some people feed kibble instead of meat if the price is more or less the same, and meat is so much healthier and more enjoyable for cats? What are the advantages of kibble? Should I feed both?
Convenience: I don't have to worry nearly as much about screwing up and not giving my cats a balanced diet. I also don't need nearly as much freezer space; we're not currently in a position to purchase a large chest freezer.

Cost: If you have a reliable, affordable source of a variety of bone-in meats and organs, that's great! Not everyone does. We also have a great online source for high-quality cat food, so the cost is considerably less than feeding raw in our area.

Safety: In some cases (e.g. immunocompromised cats or people in the house), feeding raw can be dangerous without extra special precautions. Not impossible by any means, but may be far easier to feed a commercial diet than have to worry about bacterial infections.

All that being said, cats really shouldn't be fed only kibble anyway, too much risk of dehydration and UTIs. We feed a mixture of canned and kibble for convenience (easier to get a cat-sitter to put wet & dry down once a day instead of wet twice a day), but given the option would feed strictly wet.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
For the same reason my kids grew up on carry out and my cats and foster cats eat wet and dry. Its a time factor.

Plus for me, Id have to wrap my mind around it and research it. I just havent had the time or motivation to change to raw. Even though I know its the best for your cats.

One day I will. In fact I have several packages in my freezer of raw food given to me at a grand opening of a high quality feed store.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for the very useful answers so far!

Prince just devoured his dinner of raw chicken liver and heart folded into homemade chicken wings gravy. He didn't give me enough time to defrost it, I was cutting the pieces and he was eating as the little cubes became a bit thawed! I give him organs like these about 2-3 times a week so I'm sure he's getting his taurine and iron at least.

I think I'll buy the meat from a place that sells cheaper in bulk and delivers home, then I'll freeze it in 1-meal portions of mixed meat and organs. If each portion is balanced, then he'll be fed in a balanced way. I'll keep some kibble in his bowl always, for during the day when I'm at work, and also for any extra vitamins it may contain, and give him a meat dinner each night...at least until I become more knowledgeable about a balanced diet...

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mitts, what raw food did they give you?

·
Registered
712 Posts
My girls are mainly on Origen dry food. Evie vomits everytime after eating canned food, we've tried her on every variety available- from 90% meat no grain to supermarket own brands! She eats a few bits, turns round and is sick. We've found she's quite fond of licking the gravy/jelly off the food and leaving the meat though, as is Mitzi, so I guess that's good for hydration. Mitzi just won't touch the meat, she has no interest in wet food. I have a cupboard full of about 10 packets of food that they won't eat! Both girls get grilled chicken or turkey, cooked ham or beef with their meals twice a day.

I'd never heard of feeding raw til I found this website, I guess it's just not big in the uk (neither is high quality grain free food it would seem!). I'd love to look into it, but time is a real issue at the moment. Plus, I'm quite paranoid about giving my girls the best- I'd hate for them to not be getting a balanced healthy diet because of me. So until summer (I'm a teacher so get 6 weeks off!) they'll have to stick to biscuits and meat!

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Mitts, what raw food did they give you?
I had to go to my freezer and look again. 1. Nature's Variety Instinct, Chicken formula- grain free 2.Primal- with patties of chicken, turkey, chicken/salmon, beef/salmon 3. Natures Variety Instinct Beef Formula.

One of my friends came by and pull another bag out of my freezer so I cant remember what that was. She has a rescue who is refusing to eat and she has tried all the tricks that usually work. So she called and asked if she could grab some from the raw I had in my freezer!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard that cold cuts are unhealthy for cats. I know that they're too salty for cats, so I give them only as treats occasionally, because Prince goes crazy for turkey pastrami.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mitts, you have a treasure in your freezer!

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
They are big packages too! Wish I could give them to you. I have no idea how expensive they are. I was just excited cuz I use to have to drive 45 min. to get to their other store and they just opened up near me.. 15 min drive! They carry all the high end cat dog horse chicken bird food

·
Registered
712 Posts
The meat doesn't have any added salt, it's just meat that's been cooked (I cook a lot of it myself). So I don't see it being that different to raw, obviously without organs etc. There just isn't anywhere to buy prepared raw over here. The girls are very big water drinkers, so there's no worries there. My boyfriends cat was fed on dry food and canned and she lived to 20 years, so I'm not overly worried. You're very lucky to have raw food available so easily! :)

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Heh. Mow's wild for Buddig ham. It's the only brand/lunch meat he likes. I don't buy it but my SO eats it so when he's here Mow is constantly after him to share part of his sammiches.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mitts, have you tried to feed a package to your cats? Did they like it?

Abby, my Prince is so desperate for turkey pastrami (our kosher version of ham) that I'll check tomorrow if the supermarket carries unsalted pastrami. Unfortunately I don't have a car now, so I can't go to the supermarket chain that is authorized to sell non-kosher and buy Prince shrimp, kidney, ham, small fish, bacon and pork, which I think he'd love.

Mow, I've been looking in old threads here and in google, but can't find one place that explains exactly what a balanced diet consists of. If I feed only whole chickens and whole turkeys will that be a balanced diet?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
People feed kibble over homemade raw food for a number of reasons. I'd say the most common ones are:

1-Commercial is easier and less time-consuming. Homemade raw involves a lot of careful research, sourcing, and preparation. And while commercial raw is pretty convenient, it's definitely pricier than kibble.
2-The individual does not feel comfortable about the idea of raw food for some reason (I believe some these discomforts are misconceptions encouraged by the pet food industry and lack of in-depth research, I had them once too, others may just be personal squeamishness, another issue I can understand).
3-Many average consumers do not know about raw at all, and just assume that the food being sold as cat food should be good for their pets.
4-Some cats are intensely stubborn and once used to kibble will not eat anything but kibble. In these instances it can be very hard to switch them off it even if the owner feels it's better to do so.

Number 3 is probably the most common. Short of some nutrition nuts like myself, or very involved cat owners like the people on this forum, most people just expect the food they buy in stores to be good for their cats. If you think about it, it takes a very different way of thinking to realize that no, that food labeled as "cat food" is not actually the best thing for a cat to be eating.

In general, I am really not a fan of kibble. I fed it early on, but after doing a lot more research into cat nutrition I really do not feel comfortable feeding it as an exclusive diet (and prefer to not have it in a cat's diet at all).

That said, while I've become a big supporter of raw, it's not always for everyone, for the reasons I mentioned above. If it's not practical for a person's lifestyle/circumstances, or if their cat won't eat it, then there are still good options out there besides kibble. I fed a high-quality canned diet for a while and one of my cats did very well on it (the other did better on it than kibble, but not perfect, thus prompting my desire to go raw). For those who cannot afford premade raw, or do not have the time/resources to do homemade raw, a canned food, or even feeding canned with some kibble, is still an infinitely better option than a purely dry kibble diet.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Saltenyo, but if you just feed a whole chicken, shouldn't that take care of all nutritional needs?

·
Banned
952 Posts
The two biggest reasons I've come across for feeding kibble over raw or canned is the convenience of it and the simple lack of awareness of the dangers inherent in feeding such a species-inappropriate product to cats.

Even after many years involved in feline nutrition, I am appalled and floored by the blind eye the pet food industry turns on the known dangers of the so-called "foods" they are churning out of their plants. :(

Straysmommy, you are spot-on about pastrami and cold cuts; pastrami is a HIGHLY seasoned beef product and cold cuts are so heavily processed, they're not even good for us - neither of these is good to feed to our cats on a regular basis.

I couldn't tell from your description of the "homemade chicken wings gravy" if you're feeding cooked bones, but if so, please don't, as it's extremely dangerous. Cooking turns bones from a soft, easily snapped and digested form to a sharply brittle, dagger-dangerous form.

- - - - -

To everyone - I've seen a couple of folks mentioning feeding cooked foods - please note that the second you begin cooking the meat, you begin destroying the nutrients that make fresh raw foods so very healthy for cats. Once cooked, the "food" becomes pretty much nothing more than a treat from a nutritional standpoint. You can add supplements to help restore what was destroyed, but it's impossible to replace the whole nutrient profile via supplements. So, again, cooked foods shouldn't be a regular part of a cat's diet.

If you're wanting to get your cat off kibble onto either canned or raw, you can try sprinkling the new food with 'Stella and Chewy's' or 'Whole Life's' freeze-dried 100% meat treats, Parmesan cheese, or fish food flakes, or pour just a bit of tuna juice over it.

These articles may also be of some help to those attempting to transition their cats off kibble:- - - - - - - - - -

StraysMommy, here are a couple of threads that detail what raw feeding is and give examples, etc.:Hope this helps!

AC

·
Banned
952 Posts
Saltenyo, but if you just feed a whole chicken, shouldn't that take care of all nutritional needs?
Cats can't eat everything on a chicken because it's - generally-speaking - too large a prey item.

But the concept is correct, which is why feeding whole prey items like mice, baby chicks, quail, young rats, small rabbits and insects (like crickets) is the easiest method of feeding raw, from a balanced nutritional perspective. The only issue you'd run into here is sourcing enough of a variety, but there are many items that can be found online... although that raises the financial costs of feeding raw.

AC

1 - 20 of 47 Posts