Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year old cat has started licking plastic bags. He drags them under and behind furniture like a nest, and just lies there licking them!! No bags are safe from this behavior..not to mention the sound grates on my nerves. Otherwise he is your normal 16 pound black stray (we got when he was a kitten). He has plenty of food and water. He has no health problems we know of...except this licking!! Has anyone ever heard of this behavior? Do we know how to stop it? I love him dearly...but he is driving me crazy!!!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I've heard of this behavior before, and the only real solution that I know of is to keep all plastic bags out of reach.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My cats do this too, especially Chuckie. He chews them as well. No matter if I think I have them all out of the way, he finds one! :shock:

I think it has something to do with what they're made of.

But it does drive me crazy too!!!
Seems like I'm always saying "Chucky don't eat the plastic!" :roll:

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I've heard they can smell something in the material it was made out of, but either way I'm sure the only solution is to put all bags up out of reach, out of sight. :lol:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've read that the plastic bags are made in part with rendered animal products, so that may be what he's licking. Mine don't lick them, but love to dash "thru" them and jumping on them to crinkle 'em. Great cheap cat toys.

·
Registered
252 Posts
A couple of my cats are sooo very bad for doing this. I really have to watch them and keep an eye on where I have plastic bags. Drives me crazy sometimes.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My Siamese cat Maleke does this as well, but he not only licks them, he chews....well more like gnaws on them. He doesn't swallow it, just gnaws. It makes me nervous none the less, so I keep bags away from the bag obsessed monster!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts