Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my kitten is 6 months old now. He has a hooded litterbox and is using crystal litter. He has been fine with it at my other place, and i've moved to a friend's place recently, bringing him with me. He liked to pee on the couch when there was a cloth material on it at my old place, and I made a point not to put any pieces of clothing on the couch. He has done well at the new place but starting peeing on a beanbag couch that my boyfriend bought last week. Since then, the couch was washed and put in a room away from him. Then my kitten started goin for another piece of furniture-fabric sofabed. He seems to like peeing on fabric as he did so at our first house. What should i do now? he also peeed right outside his litterbox yesterday. However, he defecates in the box all the time.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
There's so many reasons a cat will pee outside the box. Among them:
Urinary tract infection (this is the most common reason).
Kitty doesn't like where the box is located.
Kitty doesn't like the litter in the box.
Kitty doesn't like the depth of the litter in the box.
Kitty doesn't like the hood.
Kitty wants one box to pee in and one box to poo in.

I'd start with a trip to the vet to rule out a UTI. If he gets a clean bill of health, I'd skip to the last one and invest in a second box.

This is assuming your cat is neutered. If he's not neutered, that's the first thing you should do. An unneutered male cat will spray everywhere. If I recall correctly, six months is old enough for a neuter operation. I know my cat was neutered at five months.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!

i'll be bringing him to the vet on tuesday...so hopefully he's not sick or anything! I have another litter pan when he was smaller so i might just use that as an alternative solution. Meanwhile, i've removed the couch that he constantly pees in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts