Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 month old kitten has done this a few times and its a bit creepy! We will be laying on the couch and he will suddenly spring up, eyes becoming huge, and meow excitedly at something on the wall. Except there is absolutely nothing there. No bug. Nothing. I will be right next to the wall, following his eyes as they lock onto something supposedly moving on the wall and I don't see anything. Its not a tiny bug because I will scan the wall myself, get close to it, nada! He was looking in the corners up by the ceiling mostly, but whatever he was looking at was moving, because he would run to different parts of the wall.

Why do you think cats do this? Are they seeing something we can't? How often does your cat do that?

·
Super Moderator
26,726 Posts
My girls got me good with this one. I was cutting up a rotisserie chicken because I would give them little bits. All of a sudden, Cleo and the twins started staring at something on the wall behind me. Freaked me out! I turned and was looking for a spider or bug or something, but there was nothing there. I turned back around and all three little clowns were running off with my chicken. The twins had the wings and Cleo had a drumstick. I couldn't even get mad, I just starting laughing.

But yes, my cats do occasionally stare at nothing. And I don't like it. One of my sister's dogs does this also.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 5 month old kitten has done this a few times and its a bit creepy! We will be laying on the couch and he will suddenly spring up, eyes becoming huge, and meow excitedly at something on the wall. Except there is absolutely nothing there. No bug. Nothing. I will be right next to the wall, following his eyes as they lock onto something supposedly moving on the wall and I don't see anything. Its not a tiny bug because I will scan the wall myself, get close to it, nada! He was looking in the corners up by the ceiling mostly, but whatever he was looking at was moving, because he would run to different parts of the wall.

Why do you think cats do this? Are they seeing something we can't? How often does your cat do that?
It's a cat thing.
I have never known if they see things we don't (which I consider to be a possibility) or if there's another reason. Cats are strange and mysterious creatures. Which is one of the reasons we like them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My girls got me good with this one. I was cutting up a rotisserie chicken because I would give them little bits. All of a sudden, Cleo and the twins started staring at something on the wall behind me. Freaked me out! I turned and was looking for a spider or bug or something, but there was nothing there. I turned back around and all three little clowns were running off with my chicken. The twins had the wings and Cleo had a drumstick. I couldn't even get mad, I just starting laughing.

But yes, my cats do occasionally stare at nothing. And I don't like it. One of my sister's dogs does this also.
laughing!

·
Registered
76 Posts
"Why do you think cats do this? Are they seeing something we can't? How often does your cat do that?"

My cats have been staring at a particular floor cabinet in the kitchen every Spring for 5 years. I've pulled everything out of it, inspected it for holes or rodent droppings, and listened to it with a stethoscope. Found nothing, heard nothing. So there's either something there that only cats can detect, aliens, or ghosts. I haven't decided yet which is worse.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My cats have been staring at a particular floor cabinet in the kitchen every Spring for 5 years. I've pulled everything out of it, inspected it for holes or rodent droppings, and listened to it with a stethoscope. Found nothing, heard nothing. So there's either something there that only cats can detect, aliens, or ghosts. I haven't decided yet which is worse.
When I was a kid we always had cats. No matter what cat it was, including new ones who came into the house, all of them liked to sit with their back to one particular low cupboard in the kitchen.

And, periodically, all of them would suddenly jump up, whirl around, face the cabinet, hiss, and run away.
There was nothing we could hear or see in that cabinet, and no way that any creature could get into it. Nothing.
But those cats knew there was something...................
We never solved that mystery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts