Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I persuaded him to run out this time with his toy, but this is actually far for him to venture out. He usually takes a few steps and says "NOPE!" 3 years after his first trip outside he still isn't comfortable unless he is on my shoulder or attached to his harness. Fine with me :thumb

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Haha, lucky!! Last time Jasper got out (I've lost count) he tentatively walked around the front garden then bolted across the yard and flew into the ceder tree, clinging to it with his paws spread wide. It looked insane. Then he fell off the tree and ran away along a fence. I found him back in our own yard about 10 minutes later and got him to come over to me with some kibble. I'm glad Coco eats kibble otherwise I might've been trying to catch him for a whole lot longer. He gets spooked out there yet he door dashes.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes. 10 minutes isn't too bad. I'd be terrified if he ever took off across the yard, even though it is completely fenced and that area is quite separate from traffic. Easy for him to jump the fence and there are too many stories of cats not coming home!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Our house has an enclosed courtyard. We just let him out there and he can run around outdoors, but not really completely outdoors.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Aw! So cute! I wish I could trust my cat to go out.
My silly boyfriend was the one who got Oscar used to going outside :/ He went through a phase where he would escape whatever way possible. A few times we didn't notice for at least 20 minutes that he wasn't in the house! We caught him once squaring off with another cat on the wall :(

I'm debating whether to get him a harness, how useful do you find it?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The harness is great, but it will most likely take a while for your cat to accept it. I started using mine when he was around 6mo so it doesn't bother him at all. It fits nicely and you can keep the cat close to or far with a retractable leash. At the very least it gives you something to quickly grab on to without hurting them. I put it on when I take him to pet stores and other places.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Aw he is begging to go in he is saying "Pleeeese let me back in I won't escape again"

Perry is scared to go out my door! Which is a good thing for me and him

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.