Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... as of today.

earlier today, he was in my room iwth me, and a couple of times he shook his head and licked as if something was in his mouth that he didnt want there.

i thought it was weird but didnt think muvh of it until later tonight, when he approached his food bowl. he wanted the kibbles, he would take them in his mouth, seemingly trying to eat it, much like the cat in this video

he did this for about 5 seconds, then spit out a soggy kibble. so then i tried holding a kibble for him. same thing, spit it back into my hand. then i tried treats, same thing. then i broke up the treat, since they have a chewy center. this seemed to make him interested, he tried really hard to get that half, but ended up spitting it out too.

so finally i opened up some wet food, and brought it to him. he ate that, with me holding the dish for him. at least he *wanted* food, and at least now i feel like i can go to sleep tonight since theres something in his belly (he puked earlier today too, so i knew he would be hungry), at some point when im done worrying. i hope its just a weird fluke thing and everythings as normal in the morning... we will have to see. i just hate whenever something like this happens, i get SO worried.... thinking the other shoe is falling.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It sounds like he might have a bad tooth, or something else up with his mouth. If he will let you, look in his mouth to make sure he doesn't have anything caught on his tongue, or any obvious signs of trauma, but short of that, I think a vet visit is definitely in order. He might need something as simple as a cleaning, or some extractions depending on if there is any decay. He could also have some sort of abscess that is or isn't related to his dental health. Unfortunately, short of something physically being caught on his tongue, there isn't much more you can do at home.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I would guess a dental issue, that would be my first thought also, or a sore throat maybe? If he prefers the wet food, can you just give him that? It is healthier for him anyway. There are so many people that can't get their cats to even taste wet food and would love for them to happily gobble the wet food up instead. Maybe kitty just knows what is better for him. I hope it is nothing serious, but I'm guessing a bad tooth.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
His tummy (i.e. some part of GI system) also might just be bothering him. My Penny was doing this recently, going to the bowl of food and looking in wanting to eat, but yet not eating. We took her to the vet and had some blood tests done and found out she had pancreatitis.

Although with him eating the wet food it might not be that, since she wouldn't eat much of any food and mainly just looked at it.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Yep, going to bet it's a dental issue. Get him to a vet to be checked out again - specifically to rule out dental issues. Blood work won't show this and the vet may not have done a thorough check of his mouth at that time. Dental problems are common in adult cats whether or not they eat kibble - some are more prone to them genetically than others. In the mean time feed him watered down canned food.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, well, all the tooth problems speculation (which i was thinking too) seem to be out the window now.

Early morning/last night, he was eating kibbles. However, he was chewing every one. Normally, he just swallows them whole and only chews the odd one he cant swallow properly without any chewing. I would think if its tooth related he would be still opting for the swallowing without chewing. but now he seems to be opting for chewing before swallowing.

I put some wet food out again tonight, although i didnt bring it to him (cant get him into that habit!!). I hope he will take a nibble soon. hes sleeping right now and i dont want to wake him. Maybe early mroning again when i am up to pee, i can have a better idea of whats going on.

but the new evidence as of last night is that he seems to be opting for chewing now. his whole life before seemed to be the swallowing unless chewing was necessary. that in it self is strange but I cant say im against more properly digested food going into his system.

·
Registered
354 Posts
ever try adding some liquid to the dry food? Like open a can of tuna (or other ocean fish packed in oil_) and wetting the dry? Try little portions this way.

We used to feed all dry cause it was easier, cheaper, and I just had a bowl that they could snack on at any time...a dispenser for dry and water. Then I read more and took more time in their care and now only offer dry once in awhile or sometimes I mix it with the canned. Maybe that gives them some fiber? Marble is on Miralax and we give the others some also if we notice stools that are a bit hard.

Maybe a mouth rinse with one of those little squeeze applicators might be helpful too but if this problem persists beyond a day or two I would check with a vet as has been suggested.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Continuing to keep a close eye on him. Have noticed him eating and drinking throughout the day today as normal. Anytime they seem to not want food now i panic, as thats what happened before having to pts 2 out of 3 dogs i have known. not hungry usually means its already too late as ive learned. so, the eating pleases me to no end!

Also, i have tried wetting the dry, but just with water. they do seem to enjoy drinking the kibble flavoured water, but then the kibbles themselves usually go to waste, so i havent been doing that too often. I use another dish when i do this though, not their main dish.

Last night, before i went to sleep but after i posted on here, he did wake up and ended up eating most of the wet again, which again made me relaxed enough to go to sleep myself.

It may all be an over-reaction on my part? maybe his tummy was just still upset from earlier that day, but his mouth wanted the taste? We humans get iffy about eating at times, i imagine they can too.

Going to continue keeping a good eye on him though, in case im not over-reacting. fingers and paws crossed :)

(you wouldnt believe the irrational panic, i was thinking if hes not feeling well and not eating, what if that somehow causes more litterbox issues... anything runs through your mind at 3am right).

I never have tried mixing dry with canned directly though, maybe i should try that. will keep that idea in mind.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
"Ok, well, all the tooth problems speculation (which i was thinking too) seem to be out the window now. "

At best you are right, at worst you are wishful thinking. Only a vet can rule out dental issues or gum disease. He should be checked by a vet.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Yes, I agree that a vet visit is in order for this issue. When my Penny was off her food for 2 days and we took her to the vet we found out she had pancreatitis - repeating for emphasis, as I think I already wrote this in this thread. She was eating a bit here and there, but just not like usual.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He only seemed totally off of the food as it turned out for the one afternoon/evening after he puked (which was just yellow/bile, with some expanded wet kibbles). He seems back to his regular routine now. i do feel comfortable with his eating. Ive been keeping a close eye on things still but, all seems to be back to normal.

been keeping with the routine wet at night again though, just to be on the safe side. I had been kind of slacking and filling the kibble was just easier/quicker. I knew it was bad but i didnt think anything like this could possibly happen as a result. maybe its not related, but maybe it is.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i think it's possible that he's having gastrointestinal or pancreas irritation/inflammation. my snick has had pancreatitis and has possible IBD, and when she's having an IBD flare up that's pretty bad she'll vomit clear fluids and yellow bile. when things get this bad for my snick, i've had to switch her temporarily to jar stage 1 baby food (the kind with just meat and water, and some brands have a bit of cornstarch in it) until her gastro upset subsides a bit. then we start working back up to regular canned cat food (grain free) by transitioning from the baby food to pureed (in the food processor) canned cat food. dry cat food and anything chunky can be harder on a cats irritated gastrointestinal system.

i'd keep a close eye on him for any further or continuing symptoms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts