Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uuuggghhh!

Ever since I've become a stay-at-home mom I've gotten hooked on "The Young & The Restless" all over again. It's my one hour of adult TV entertainment and a break from reality with the kids.

Anyway, the kids were taking a nap and I decided to get online on Yahoo! chats to find a chat room that discusses soap operas. I found one. Before I typed anything I thought I would just sit back and read the transcripts of the discussion for a bit. Just as I got logged in someone else asked if there were any "Passions" fans in the room. Someone else told her to shut the f*ck up and said that "Passions" was a sh*tty soap. Then I asked if there were any Y&R fans in the room and someone else motioned a slap across the face against me!

I sat there and watched the transcripts a little further without saying anything myself and the language was terrible. The same gal that asked about the other soap opera told somebody to watch their language and she was totally bombarded with women daring her to report them, etc., etc., and calling her other nasty names. Needless to say, I got out of the room after that.

Dang! All I wanted was to get into a good discussion about soaps (Y&R in particular) and these nasty cusses infiltrated the room and took it over with junk talk (that's putting it mildly, BTW). That's the risk we take with the world wide web, I guess. You just never know who you can and cannot trust to be a decent person. Sad reality. :(

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
How disappointing! I understand completely what it's like just to want to find some people with similar interests and being totally disappointed by what's offered. I hope you're able to find a good chat room or message board somewhere.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
When I was younger and went in chat rooms a lot foul language wasnt so bad.
Now I dont even go near them, they are just too awful.
I use IRC, but only channels I know are well moderated or that I own/moderate.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The only chat rooms worth visiting are hosted ones, usually. I spent several years as a chat host for AOL, and those rooms that are hosted are usually kept on an even keel.

Internet chat rooms, particularly popular ones like Yahoo and IRC, are always going to be crazy, populated primarily by people who either have no social skills or whose mummies and daddies aren't supervising them properly. :lol:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aphrodeia said:
Internet chat rooms, particularly popular ones like Yahoo and IRC, are always going to be crazy, populated primarily by people who either have no social skills or whose mummies and daddies aren't supervising them properly. :lol:
Unfortunately, I'm finding that out the hard way. I also tried an MSN chat the other night and it, too, was filthy and had absolutely nothing to do with soap operas like the group title had suggested.

I also found a few "privatized" soap chats but none of them seem to be active anymore. I registered as a new user to a couple of them and every time I log on I'm the only one there and there's never a new updated discussion. Kind of crazy! Am I the only one who wants to discuss soap operas with strangers? :roll:

Well, I gotta go. One kid just woke up from a nap about 15 minutes ago and the second one woke up just now. Talk to you later! :wink:

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I used to be a soap addict, but I have been "recovered" for years. Well, unless you count "Survivor" and "Big Brother," which are continuing reality shows. Same idea, isn't it? They hook you, and you keep going back for more. :(

I'm sorry you had such bad luck, 2kids3cats4me. I can't imagine why anyone would want that kind of a forum, but..... :(

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
That is a shame, Jolene. It seems so hard to find a pleasant, active forum about many topics. I have tried with many of my interests too with the same results.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Donaldjr1969 said:
Let me guess. This was an AOL chat room, right??
Nope, Yahoo. After I told my husband about everything he said all the "major" chatrooms tend to get like that. Nobody really cares to monitor them like they should be.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
Donaldjr1969 said:
Let me guess. This was an AOL chat room, right??
Nope, Yahoo. After I told my husband about everything he said all the "major" chatrooms tend to get like that. Nobody really cares to monitor them like they should be.
They are just as bad. Maybe good ol' IRC is the best way to go with the ChanOps being more likely to kickban problem uses.

With the idiots that frequent chat rooms, I often wonder if internet users need to have an FCC, CRTC, etc license to connect. HAM radio operators must be licensed and for those that do a bit of DXing or know those that do, the language is very clean.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I used to watch Young and the Restless, Bold and the Beautiful, Guiding Light and As the World Turns with my mom. :lol: I would try to get my work done early just so I could watch them all or if I woke up too late I would do all of my school work afterwords. :lol: They were lots of fun - but most of the characters grew up too fast. I remember watching a baby become an older teen than I was in a couple of years. :lol:

My favorite show right now is Monk (not a soap I guess) - and I am totally addicted to it. Not much romance in it (but I love mysteries). I also like the way he talks about his wife - it's romantic enough. Although I want him to date Natalie. :D

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aeki Muffinhands said:
My favorite show right now is Monk (not a soap I guess) - and I am totally addicted to it. Not much romance in it (but I love mysteries). I also like the way he talks about his wife - it's romantic enough. Although I want him to date Natalie. :D
I've never seen Monk. It's on FOX, isn't it? My husband and I really have never watched anything on FOX unless it is sports related. With the kids now, we don't even watch our regular shows that we used to make sure we watched, like CSI. Kids kind of change your priorities a bit (or you get too tired to think about TV)! :lol:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did you try and see if there is a Y&R chatroom through CBS ? (I think it is a CBS show??). Maybe if it is Y&R chatroom people will not be as agressive...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked on the CBS website and they didn't have any chats to join.

I haven't given up on finding a few honest people who really want to chat about Y&R so I kept trying Yahoo! and finally found a conversation tonight. Since I was a newbie I learned how to ignore the ones who don't want to talk soaps and just talk junk.

It was kind of fun! Just shows what a boring person I can be, huh? :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts