Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cat seems to have this strange habit of eating kitty litter. I'm using soybean litter so i suppose it wouldn't be harmful if not too much. She isn't eating the litter right from her box, she actually eats those that dropped outside box. There was a time where she will eat 1-2 litter everyday (yes she always left a few litter out of the box..). I thought she was just curious on how it taste like since it's new litter. Then after a days the habit is gone. Now it's back again.

I had a feeling that she just wanna 'keep the area clean', but then she could've sweep it away with her paws instead of swallowing it right?! Sometimes it's really hard to understand what they are doing :blackcat

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Your kitty is still fairly young right?

I've had quite a few kittens who used to sample their litter, and Jitzu went through a phase of eating it as well last year. IME it's not too big of a deal. As long as they aren't eating clay litter (which is EXTREMELY dangerous!) and they aren't eating lots and lots of it I wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Our licks up litter off the floor... good reason to keep the floor really clean.
I think she's not a really bright cat, poor dear- I think she's unsure if it's food or not so she gives it a shot, then sees another piece of sand on the floor and goes through the same deduction process.

I've seen dogs do this same thing. Pop it in mouth, is it food? Nah. Spits out. Hey is it food now? Pops back in mouth, chews some more, spits it out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol i hope it won't make her tummy upset. I was worried a bit coz the litter sticks together when it meets water (it's flushable litter tho). Still, i find it weird for her to eat it for so many times, hope she knows it's not 'treats'.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts