Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago, we adopted a 6 month old female Tuxedo cat from a shelter. She was spayed the day she came home with us. Since the 3rd day home, she has been biting, very, very hard. Enough to draw blood. Sometimes, I can't get her to stop, she will just keep attacking. Other times she is very lovable. She bites if I try to move her off my chair or try to pick her up, but not always. At night she sleeps in the spare room, with a cozy bed and the TV on. If I put her in there and make a move towards the door, she immediately attacks me. She knows I am leaving her. I just don't know how to make her stop. I have tried being stern and hissing at her. I have tried screeching when she bites. Nothing makes her stop, she is not fazed at all. Any suggestions? I am very frustrated. Luckily, she does not do this to the dog, she only play bites her, nothing vicious.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My little Max did this for a few weeks, but he did it when we played ad he got over exited and bit down. So i would stop playing with him and say NO and walk away and ignore him. Cats hate not being the center of attention so ignoring them does wonders. I have cats isolated in rooms right now and its so hard leaving cause they know you are abandoning them. I wonder if she is in some sort of pain when you pick her up and move her. When Cleo got fixed she had a minor infection and she didnt like being touched a certain way, and would claw at me when in pain.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My cat is just over 9 months old now and I still have this issue. Walking away from him and making no eye contact until he gets bored has done wonders. Probably the best advice I've received from the wonderful people on this forum.

Pain could be a reason, they don't have many ways to show you that they're hurting. I'd suggest refraining from picking her up to move her, period. At least for a while. Apollo will be dead asleep on my lap and I have to move him so I can get up, and on occasion he will latch onto my arm and go at it. Scruffing does nothing to him, hissing, a loud "OUCH!" either. Getting up and walking away will do it, even if he comes after and latches onto my leg. I've figured out that he mostly does this when he is bored and has not had enough play time, but then again, he can get overly stimulated during play time and see my arms as something to attack instead of his toys. Again, toy isput down, I walk away and make no eye contact; resume once he's calmed down.

Before you leave her in her room, have you given her some play time and some love? Maybe a treat? Don't leave until she seems calm and collected, otherwise it probably won't stop any time soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts