Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all :)
I am new here but found most of the forums rather informative , maybe you guys can answer this ;p

I have a question and not sure if anyone can answer this. I have 2 cats. My older female is a off the street rescue after she was dumped out of a moving vehicle at around 2 months of age. She had the right front leg amputated and is a spoiled indoor cat. I recently got a male cat who is now around 6 months of age. He is neutered ( so is my female) The male is named George and is a supersweet cat. Anyway ... yesterday he was sitting on my chest as he allways does. I smelled something funny and I thought.. dang George gots a bit of gas. After allmost gagging to death and my 12 year old laughing so hard he cried tears, the smell didnt go away. I picked up George and smelled his back to see if he might had rolled in something as he was on our porch a bit earlier. Nope, that wasnt it. It smells very musky and rather nasty. I thought since he was fixed he would not spray but from having cats when I was younger I remember that smell and it smells like he marked or sprayed in the house. I cannot find a spot where he did it tho.I just got done building this house and anything off the wall smelly like I can pinpoint. And a male cat spraying is definetly something Anyone can pretty much isolate. Anyway. .. is it possible that he just done it because he was very comfy and relaxed. ( the reason I say this is I also have a American Bulldog that when he gets relaxed he ..well.. he just outright lets it go.I am baffled as to why all of the sudden he has this smell on his backhalf. I checked if he might had messed on his self by accident but all is clean back there ... even checked his feet etc.. nothing. So.. my question is.. can castrated males still mark or is it just suppressed .. and why did he not mark the house..?did he mark me ,( I am his human and he allways hangs with me rather than my husband or son) :wink:
Any input would be greatly appreciated

Petra

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
It sounds more like anal gland secretion to me. The smell of the liquid from the anal glands does smell kind of musky - it is used to mark a cat's feces as "theirs". Each cat has their own individual scent :lol: . My cat Cleo actually did that to me the other day when she was on my chest - I had to change my clothes :evil: .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts